The Official PS4 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks. and what was wrong with yours?

the original controller that came with my X1 had a faulty Dpad. instead of being clicky and responsive, you had to press the button several times to get it to respond, especially the left and down buttons.

however, I think my console itself is faulty with another issue, which you can read about in the X1 thread.......lol.

SCE Vice President On The Possibilities Of An Enhanced PS4 For Ultra HD Blu-Ray. October 23, 2015 . 6:20am

Sony Computer Entertainment Executive Vice President Masayasu Ito recently spoke of the possibilities of an enhanced Ultra HD Blu-ray compatible PlayStation 4.

Sony Computer Entertainment Executive Vice President Masayasu Ito spoke with 4Gamer to talk about future possibilities of an enhanced PlayStation 4 for Ultra HD Blu-ray compatibility.

During the recent interview, 4Gamer brings up the topic of Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray, and asks the Executive Vice President about Sony Computer Entertainment’s thoughts on the subject, and whether we’ll have some sort of compatibility with it in this era of the PlayStation 4.

“The Blu-ray disc drive that is currently installed in the PS4 is made exclusively for the Blu-ray disc player, so it cannot read the 3-layer media that is standardized by Ultra HD Blu-ray,” says Ito. “For this reason, the PlayStation 4 models that are out in the market cannot be compatible with Ultra HD Blu-ray.”

However, Ultra HD Blu-ray compatibility is something that the company is currently considering. Ito says, hypothetically speaking, they can indeed think of a way to make it possible, by making an enhanced PlayStation 4 model that is compatible with Ultra HD Blu-ray—but there’s more to it than that.

For example, “how many units of this enhanced PS4 will we be able to sell?” and “how much will we sell them for?” are just some of the questions that factor in the possibilities of making a new and improved PlayStation 4, which must carefully be examined through various perspectives. These are some of the topics that are currently in consideration.

4Gamer notes that Ultra HD Blu-ray display require 4K or UHD TVs to get the best out of it, and not many people own such high-end TV sets, so it might be a rough market to jump into; however, they don’t rule out the possibilities of perhaps seeing SCE release a cheaper PlayStation 4 model alongside a more expensive and enhanced model that is Ultra HD Blu-ray compatible, sometime in the future.

Read more stories about PlayStation 4 & Sony on Siliconera.

source: Siliconera

Maybe looking to buy a PS4 in the near future, would be getting one with 500gb be the usual thing as I see ones with 1tb but they are more expensive, obviously because of the extra memory. I won't be hooking it up to the Internet, well unless I can connect with wifi, but even then I doubt I will be playing people online as its more just for myself, any tips? I am in the UK if people know the best places for deals also.

Well, yes you can connect wi-fi. However to play online you need PlayStation Plus which is $50 USD a year. It depends how much you game with the memory. The great thing about the PS4 is you can delete games off of your hard drive, and since it is easy to install games (they install while you play) it's not a big deal by any means. Now is the time to get one, lots of great games out, and coming out in the next year.

Maybe looking to buy a PS4 in the near future, would be getting one with 500gb be the usual thing as I see ones with 1tb but they are more expensive, obviously because of the extra memory. I won't be hooking it up to the Internet, well unless I can connect with wifi, but even then I doubt I will be playing people online as its more just for myself, any tips? I am in the UK if people know the best places for deals also.

yes, you can hook it up via wifi.

and even if you don't want to play against other people, you still need to hook the console to the internet to download updates and patches for games. You don't need a PS+ subscription to do that. Only need PS+ if you want to play against others.

I will mostly be purchasing it for FIFA, but I think I may get one around Xmas time depending on my funds, thanks again.

I will mostly be purchasing it for FIFA, but I think I may get one around Xmas time depending on my funds, thanks again.

there will probably be great deals around Xmas. and now is a good time to get a PS4.

if you don't plan on playing it much, then 500GB should be plenty. As Solidus said above, it's super easy to uninstall games to make room and reinstall them later if needed.

The PS4 is very fast and efficient when it comes to installing games from a disc. Usually, in about 2-4 minutes, it will install enough to let you start playing the single player/non online portion of the game, while it continues to install the rest of the game in the background in addition to whatever patches/updates that are available.

and you can always upgrade to a bigger internal hdd later if you want. it takes a little time and work to open up the machine and do it yourself, but it is fairly straightforward.

Last edited:
I've got some family members interested in getting a PS4 but they have limited (and generally crappy) internet where they are. They aren't interested in online multiplayer stuff, just mainly basic single player campaigns and in using it to play blu-rays/media. Can these things work without internet? I know mine always refuses to open applications until I've downloaded the latest updates, but I don't know if it would still behave that way if it weren't connected to my wi-fi at all times.

I've got some family members interested in getting a PS4 but they have limited (and generally crappy) internet where they are. They aren't interested in online multiplayer stuff, just mainly basic single player campaigns and in using it to play blu-rays/media. Can these things work without internet? I know mine always refuses to open applications until I've downloaded the latest updates, but I don't know if it would still behave that way if it weren't connected to my wi-fi at all times.
yes. you won't be able to play a game like destiny, but you'll be good with single player games, non-drm games, and blu ray movies.

no netflix either, though.

Thanks, I already warned them about Netflix, but they said they already have issues streaming it so they don't subscribe to it anymore anyway. Good to know it can still be generally functional, though. :up:

So many games are shipped in a broken state that are fixed with (sometimes massive) release date patches that I don't know that I'd personally recommend a game console to anyone who didn't want it connected.

So many games are shipped in a broken state that are fixed with (sometimes massive) release date patches that I don't know that I'd personally recommend a game console to anyone who didn't want it connected.
A sad but good point. That was my main reservation for them - I wasn't sure if the games could play at all without those patches.

Sony has a new survey asking about what features people want them to add:

sonyknowskiz2k.png
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10...ont page)&utm_content=3&utm_campaign=Blogroll

Filtering options, Folders and PS1 Classics are my top 3 from this. Hide/Completely remove items from library and delete are the same thing, so I dont know why its listed twice. Id go for those as well, especially removing betas

That's what worries me as if I buy one I won't be connecting it to the internet, I will only have WiFi connected.

That's what worries me as if I buy one I won't be connecting it to the internet, I will only have WiFi connected.

I dont see why thats an issue. I have my PS4 connected via WIFI. I would wager that most people do as well

Target's Cartwheel App currently has a deal where you get 10% off of any PS4 bundle. I'm still trying to wait for any big holiday bundles to be announced, but this is somewhat tempting. If I get the Uncharted Bundle, it would be $315 after the discount, and after taxes, it would be about $342. That's a $42 dollar discount.

The deal expires on the 31st, so I might wait a few days, but something I've heard and would like some clarification is, what is the difference between the newer PS4 model. I've heard it runs better and makes less noise, but that there are bundles out there that still contain the older model. How can you tell the difference and is there any drawback to getting the older model?

I dont see why thats an issue. I have my PS4 connected via WIFI. I would wager that most people do as well

Ah, I got the impression important updates couldn't be done over WiFi, an actual connection was needed for big downloads, is that not the case?

Ah, I got the impression important updates couldn't be done over WiFi, an actual connection was needed for big downloads, is that not the case?

no its not. Its 2015. WiFI is sufficient enough to download large games and updates

no its not. Its 2015. WiFI is sufficient enough to download large games and updates

Sorry, I thought someone else had earlier said otherwise, thanks for letting me know the year as well, was a bit confused there :oldrazz:

I connect my PS4 wirelessly to my router, and I have no problem downloading large updates.

of course, the speed of the download will depend on the speed and quality of your internet connection.

It really depends on your internet speed and the equipment you're internet provider uses. AT&T routers and modems were **** when I was with them and their wifi was god awful. Same with Dish in my area. Charter has better equipment but I still get faster speeds and more stability from a wired connection. But if you only have wifi it will work. It might be a bit slower than a wired connection, but it will get the job done regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"