The Superhero Cinematic Civil War

What was novel about GotG vol 3? Across the Spider-Verse? MOM?

I think the more obvious question with the new Cap flick, is would it do better if it was Evans/Rogers. And I'd say yes. Just like if they did another Iron Man with RDJ.

I think a big issue for the MCU is how every character of signifcance goes missing for years. In the original MCU there wasn't much time between appearences for actors/characters. There was a streak of RDJ and Evans being in a MCU flick every year. This is why not doing an Avengers flick recently has been such a bad idea.

There's no question that MCU character management has been subpar in recent years. Up until the first Avengers film there were about a half dozen enhanced individuals in the connected universe and Feige and company made certain that they remained in the spotlight. There's at least 10 times that many now and the plan for their future use is not apparent. When are we going to see Scarlet Scarab again? Or Pip? It used to drive me nuts when Kinberg wasted mutants on cameo appearances - Hey, was that Bishop? - and the post FOX buyout, flush with characters MCU appears to be doing the same thing.

None of those mashups even sound remotely appeasing to me. However i will fully and shamelessly concede that a Spiderman and the X-Men team up movie would get my butt there opening day. I dont know, as a child of the 90s, theres always been something inherently appealing to me to seeing Spidey mix it up with the mutants.

The Spider Man & The X Men series from a few years back had Spidey taking over for the now deceased Logan (he got better) as head of Xavier's school and contained this all time great comic panel.

1709492947787.png

I’m depressed about the relaunch in the comics. They gave Ororo that damn mohawk… AGAIN.

We haven't seen the relaunch yet. Marvel has been dragging their feet with it. It is getting really annoying.

So, I wanna take a poll, guys: over or under? Will Kraven be an even bigger disaster and even bigger internet meme than Madame Web?
I feel like it could be less of a laughing stock only because Kraven's slightly less of an obscure character. I think there's a lot more people out there who want to see Kraven in a movie compared to Madame Web or Morbius, though I think everyone would prefer if he showed up as a villain in a Spider-Man movie and not in an inexplicable solo movie where he's the hero.

So, I wanna take a poll, guys: over or under? Will Kraven be an even bigger disaster and even bigger internet meme than Madame Web?

No Morbius writers on that one like MW, but still no one particularly exceptional.

Director: J.C. Chandor
Richard Wenk...(screenplay by) and
Art Marcum...(screenplay by) &
Matt Holloway...(screenplay by)
Richard Wenk...(story by)

Produced by​

Avi Arad...producer
Ben Grund...associate producer
David B. Householter...producer
Matt Tolmach...producer

Studio Head: Tom Rothman

I assume it'll do better than Web critically and commercially.

Last edited:
I feel like it could be less of a laughing stock only because Kraven's slightly less of an obscure character. I think there's a lot more people out there who want to see Kraven in a movie compared to Madame Web or Morbius, though I think everyone would prefer if he showed up as a villain in a Spider-Man movie and not in an inexplicable solo movie where he's the hero.
Yeah, same. It’s a shame we’re not getting Kraven in a proper Spidey film as I love the character, but regardless it’s a higher profile character than Madame Web who even many geeks hadn’t heard of before the film was announced.

It's a tough one because Madame Web has set a new low, yet there are many arguments on why Kraven can perform even worse than that. No visible Spider-Man references, being R rated, having followed yet another disaster by the Sony Universe of Spider-Man villains. So ultimately it's very possible, but right now I'll still probably say marginally over.

Kraven I think will do better than Madame Web but worse than Morbius
I could see this happening.

Yeah, same. It’s a shame we’re not getting Kraven in a proper Spidey film as I love the character, but regardless it’s a higher profile character than Madame Web who even many geeks hadn’t heard of before the film was announced.
Truth be told, the character probably would have been almost completely forgotten if not for her appearances in the Spider-Man cartoon from the '90s.

Will Sony have room to get even better after Madame Web and Kraven or are we reaching the peak? Can El Muerto go one further? (if that’s still being made)

Kraven is Sony's last Spidey-less spin-off they have in production currently (other than Venom 3). Have to imagine if it performs anything like Morbius and Madame Web they'll throw in the towel with these.

Halting El Muerto and not committing to give Madame Web a post-credit scene feels like they're semi pulling the plug already anyway.

Regarding the talk on nostalgia vs fresh things in CBMs I just hope we see less of legacy heroes and more of the original ones going forward (eventually going into the X-Men may help that). I much prefer a character that's written to just be about itself rather than be a copy of something else. That's one part of why I love Kamala Khan. While she is a relatively new character and has some ties to Captain Marvel she's not a Captain Marvel copy or replacement, she has her own powers and identity and really feels like a unique character. I also like how they did diversity with her as it's not surface level so her culture really plays a big part in her character and her surroundings. There's just substance to her in all facets and that's what I want to see more of.

It's not that I think all legacy heroes are terrible but I do think it's a less creative way to go about things. It's venturing closer to the IP mining that someone mentioned before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"