The Superhero Cinematic Civil War

I dunno, I much prefer having a director's vision and style in anything they're attached to instead of the same bland studio-controlled version of a movie as long as it fits and is executed well, and that Doc Ock scene fits so well with Raimi's Universal Monsters coded approach to the character with his style from the Evil Dead movies.

cb1ae2b699c2961cc981d847747548cdb20351f7.gifv

deec3a26e600b2c7202727f1e8dfc8fbf29c8ea1.gifv

Having seen Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 again within the last few months made me realize how mediocre MCU spidey is. Homecoming and Far from Home don’t even come close. No Way Home is better and tries to rekindle that magic but it’s all lost amid Multiverse shenanigans.

Having seen Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 again within the last few months made me realize how mediocre MCU spidey is. Homecoming and Far from Home don’t even come close. No Way Home is better and tries to rekindle that magic but it’s all lost amid Multiverse shenanigans.
I mostly like the MCU Spider-Man movies but I totally understand where you're coming from. Personally I think Tony Stark played way too big of a part in the origin of MCU Spidey but at the same time I recognize why they did it because they felt they had to differentiate from the previous two iterations of Spider-Man on film and incorporate the most popular hero in the MCU in the meantime. I feel like if the TASM movies were never a thing and Civil War/Homecoming was the first post-Raimi reboot of the character they might not have leaned so heavily on the Iron Man factor for Spidey's big introduction to the MCU, at least maybe not so much in Homecoming.

I mostly like the MCU Spider-Man movies but I totally understand where you're coming from. Personally I think Tony Stark played way too big of a part in the origin of MCU Spidey but at the same time I recognize why they did it because they felt they had to differentiate from the previous two iterations of Spider-Man on film and incorporate the most popular hero in the MCU in the meantime. I feel like if the TASM movies were never a thing and Civil War/Homecoming was the first post-Raimi reboot of the character they might not have leaned so heavily on the Iron Man factor for Spidey's big introduction to the MCU, at least maybe not so much in Homecoming.
That’s all precisely why MCU Spidey feels so hollow. It was crowbarred into an ongoing cinematic universe and Peter had to be Iron Man junior instead of his own thing. MCU Spidey still works better than TASM spidey but not by much.

I LOVE the Doc Ock hospital scene. Wanda massacring the Illuminati in Multiverse of Madness, specifically Black Bolt, showed that Raimi still hasn't lost his touch in that department.

I still have nightmares about that Illuminati massacre. Raimi didnt have to do Reed and Black Bolt like that, I was in that movie theater like...
mortal-kombat-fatality.gif

That’s all precisely why MCU Spidey feels so hollow. It was crowbarred into an ongoing cinematic universe and Peter had to be Iron Man junior instead of his own thing. MCU Spidey still works better than TASM spidey but not by much.
All three movies have felt like a buildup to a more traditional Spidey story for the fourth movie, especially with how NWH ended so I'm really hoping they don't rope in the multiverse again. I'd much prefer a more street level movie. I'd also prefer to see him just on his own for one movie without any help from other MCU heroes but at the same time I wouldn't say no to him teaming up with Daredevil or Johnny Storm down the line.

I honestly thought they had something so special with Homecoming by making it low-stakes enough, making it feel like a real teen romp, fixing the wrongs by making Queens feel representative, and letting Keaton cook, but it went away so quickly right after.

Last edited:
I honestly thought they had something so special with Homecoming by making it low-stakes enough, making it like a real teen romp and fixing the wrongs of making Queens feel representative but it went away so quickly right after.
I consider Far From Home to be good but it was still a step down from Homecoming. I really wasn't a fan of taking Peter out of NYC for an entire movie but Jake G. as Mysterio made up for it. This scene alone is the reason I hold Far From Home in such high regard:

I honestly thought they had something so special with Homecoming by making it low-stakes enough, making feel like a real teen romp and fixing the wrongs of making Queens feel representative, and letting Keaton cook, but it went away so quickly right after.

That was my thing too. With their access to Daredevil, Fantastic Four and Spider-Man, I need the MCU to make NYC and their neighborhoods feel more like characters. Like you said, they started on that path with Homecoming and with Queens, but then it just deviated. That's what always made Marvel cool to me, their heroes were my fellow New Yorkers.

We need more web swinging through the city, more Hell's Kitchen and God PLEASE the Four Freedoms Plaza somewhere in the skyline soon.

FFH is a huge step down from Homecoming. Had it been better it’d be arguably my favorite Marvel trilogy but as it stands it’s a huge disappointment for me still, even though I like a lot of what they did with Mysterio.

The moment they got Holland's Pete going to a bodega and acting like a smartass to the owner, I knew they had it right. It's a shame they wasted all of that. I would have loved to see them expanding on Michael Mando's Scorpion mixing it up with the Vulture and Shocker 2.0. And I bet they would have given the Avengers tower to Norman in a real sequel to Homecoming.

The moment they got Holland's Pete going to a bodega and acting like a smartass to the owner, I knew they had it right. It's a shame they wasted all of that. I would have loved to see them expanding on Michael Mando's Scorpion mixing it up with the Vulture and Shocker 2.0. And I bet they would have given the Avengers tower to Norman in a real sequel to Homecoming.

Bruh the cat on the counter was attention to detail.
spidermanhomecoming02.jpg

Hypesters, if you're ever in NYC and go to a bodega and don't see a cat roaming around, you're not in a real bodega.

I don't trust Feige with Miles, so thank God for the Spider-Verse films.

Far From Home’s third act was so mind numbingly bad. I couldn’t believe it actually passed a script review let alone being approved to film the damn thing.

I love SM2, probably remains my favorite live-action Spidey movie. But I can't hate on any of MCU movies as I really enjoy them as well for different reasons, Homecoming especially. As others have said that movie moreso than the other 2 really nail the friendly neighborhood, low stakes street level stuff really well. It feels like a random day in the life, one and done issue. I get why they shifted focus with the other 2 movies, but that was the one aspect that I was really looking forward to future movies.

I can't find the link at the moment but not long after Homecoming came out Watts had talked about potential sequel ideas, specifically pointing out that Vulture's operations were the tip of the iceberg for the criminal underworld and thought it would be interesting to go deeper and explore more of that. Hoping SM4 can delve more into that type of stuff.

Last edited:
All three movies have felt like a buildup to a more traditional Spidey story for the fourth movie, especially with how NWH ended so I'm really hoping they don't rope in the multiverse again. I'd much prefer a more street level movie. I'd also prefer to see him just on his own for one movie without any help from other MCU heroes but at the same time I wouldn't say no to him teaming up with Daredevil or Johnny Storm down the line.
Daredevil and Spidey team up would be great. It’s been almost 3 years since the tease and nothing has happened. This is one of the many reasons I’ve stopped caring about the MCU.

To me the most shocking thing about FFH's ending is that Mysterio didn't pop back up again in No Way Home to round out the "Sinister Six". I still don't buy that he actually died.

He originally was going to be in NWH but was cut (never filmed the scenes, he was cut during the script phase). I am betting you whatever Sinister Six crap they were doing with Morbius and Vulture was gonna involved Mysterio getting universe displaced also, but seems like they are stopping this now that all them are flopping

He originally was going to be in NWH but was cut (never filmed the scenes, he was cut during the script phase). I am betting you whatever Sinister Six crap they were doing with Morbius and Vulture was gonna involved Mysterio getting universe displaced also, but seems like they are stopping this now that all them are flopping
More like the Sony-Marvel agreement on the Spider-Man film rights was coming to end and Feige dealt his hand by rescinding all use of Holland or Spider-Man in general for Sony to use until they come to his terms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"