Thor: Love and Thunder | Official News and Speculation Thread

The cgi in the she-hulk trailer was bad.
And the comedy wasnt funny.

Oh no not the video itself. Its calling Valkyrie who's literally part of the female warrior group called the Valkyries, the "king" of Asgard. What game are we playing?

Its much more lowkey but just as silly as the notion of Wonder Woman becoming "king" of the Amazons.

Um, you do realize there is a decent amount of historical precedent for using the masculine title "King" ( or its linguistic equivalent ) to refer to female royalty who ruled in their own right, no? Ranging from King Christina of Sweden to Pharaoh Nefertitit. Its not exactly new and innovative- the masculine title carried the meaning of "power of rule" while the feminine title did not, so if you had a female ruler they used the masculine title.

Um, you do realize there is a decent amount of historical precedent for using the masculine title "King" ( or its linguistic equivalent ) to refer to female royalty who ruled in their own right, no? Ranging from King Christina of Sweden to Pharaoh Nefertitit. Its not exactly new and innovative- the masculine title carried the meaning of "power of rule" while the feminine title did not, so if you had a female ruler they used the masculine title.
Please don't let your historical facts get in the way. :argh:

Oh no not the video itself. Its calling Valkyrie who's literally part of the female warrior group called the Valkyries, the "king" of Asgard. What game are we playing?

Its much more lowkey but just as silly as the notion of Wonder Woman becoming "king" of the Amazons.
Before making that point, you really didn't consider the fact that the Amazonians don't have any men in their ranks and that Asgard has had a line of leaders known as kings?

It's a feminist take on the situation. Not dissimilar to women who prefer to be referred to as actors, because there was never a reason to divide the job down gender lines in the first place. It's the same being a leader of the people. That's why the title is president or prime minister, no matter the gender of the one holding the position.

Your reaction to it thought is... interesting.

Interesting. 1 hour and 55 minutes seems way too short to me. 2 hours and 20 minutes on the other hand is bang on what I expected it to be.

Ragnarok was 2:10. I think TLT probably needs to be 2:20 in order to have time to explore everything at play from Thor own journey to Gorr’s backstory, the Mighty Thor storyline exploration…

Before making that point, you really didn't consider the fact that the Amazonians don't have any men in their ranks and that Asgard has had a line of leaders known as kings?

It's a feminist take on the situation. Not dissimilar to women who prefer to be referred to as actors, because there was never a reason to divide the job down gender lines in the first place. It's the same being a leader of the people. That's why the title is president or prime minister, no matter the gender of the one holding the position.

Presidentress? Prime Ministress? :funny:

Interesting. 1 hour and 55 minutes seems way too short to me. 2 hours and 20 minutes on the other hand is bang on what I expected it to be.

Ragnarok was 2:10. I think TLT probably needs to be 2:20 in order to have time to explore everything at play from Thor own journey to Gorr’s backstory, the Mighty Thor storyline exploration…
Yeah. I just don't see how this is done justice in under 2 hours. I hope that's wrong.

I think its a mistake to automatically assume that longer = better, but as you say this movie has quite bit of ground to cover, so you'd expect it to be longer than Ragnarok rather than shorter...

I find it crazy that people are so outraged by Valkyrie being called "King" in this movie, when its happened before in big movie franchises. Like, Elizabeth Swann being named "Pirate King" in POTC 3.

But I don't recall this outrage in 2007...

I think its a mistake to automatically assume that longer = better, but as you say this movie has quite bit of ground to cover, so you'd expect it to be longer than Ragnarok rather than shorter...
Yeah. I don't assume that, but it's like the difference between "necessary" and "sufficient". I think somewhere in excess of 2:10 or so is necessary, but not sufficient for a good movie. I mean, ultimately, it will depend on the script and what they are trying to do, but, like I said, under 2 hours seems really light to me.

Gravity, as I brought up before, was only about 90 minutes, but it was very (VERY) focused on a single individual. T:L&T is a very different animal.

Yeah. I just don't see how this is done justice in under 2 hours. I hope that's wrong.
Me neither. While most rom-coms are likely under that I still expect TLT to be more than just that. I want it to be and i’m sure it will also be an action adventure with substantial dramatic weight as well and for that last aspect to register you need time and proper use of it of course.

Longer is not necessarily better but in this case I do feel it needs those extra minutes. I loved Ragnarok but I do think that TLT has a lot on its plate and those extra 10 minutes should, in theory, benefit the films overall quality.

I bet this was what he was working on, so I would expect some TLT content to drop next week.

A couple of things here. Please bare with me, Im french so it hard to explain certain things in english sometimes.

1. Pharaoh isnt a male or female term. So there is that.

2. The historical precedent you cited, for example with Christina (who some called queen), are not connected in any way to Marvel Comics, MCU, Asgard, Norse mythology, current culture or current language.

Ive been reading comics for the past 30 years of my life. Precedent has been established in this literature. Within this literature/culture, it has been established that the difference between a king and a queen is gender. For example, when Hela took the throne, she declared herself Queen of Asgard. Was her rank lower then Valkyrie's? No of course not. That was ONE Thor movie ago. Same Director, same writers. Not a different generation of MCU films/comics. Within this culture, we have gods/goddesses, kings/queens, princes/princesses, priests/prietesses, emperor/empress... Always based on gender and not on rank.

So yes I do appreciate that OTHER cultures have done it differently in their past, but how does deviating from your own culture make ANY sense?

I understand that the the writers can do whatever they want, but my question is... what are they trying to prove?

Last edited:

So the title of Queen is enough to rule women but it doesnt suffice when ruling women AND men? How does that make sense?

Asgard had a Queen literally one movie ago.

I believe I am the only feminist here, as you are the ones who belittled the title of "queen" and made it a lower rank.

Not every word has a masculine/feminine variation, but those that do arent meant to establish a hiarchy.

Ive been reading comics for the past 30 years of my life. Precedent has been established in this literature. Within this literature/culture, it has been established that the difference between a king and a queen is gender. For example, when Hela took the throne, she declared herself Queen of Asgard. Was her rank lower then Valkyrie's? No of course not. That was ONE Thor movie ago. Same Director, same writers. Not a different generation of MCU films/comics.

That might actually be the problem. For the Asgardians, the term "Queen" (at least as the ruling title) may well have been permanently tainted by Hela's reign of tyranny, which is why Val decided to take the more traditional title of "King" in order to stay more in continuity with the "good" rulers like Bor and Odin rather than to remind the Asgardians of the genocidal maniac who was ruling them not a couple of years earlier.

A bit like the term "Fuhrer" becoming toxic in Germany after 1945.

RG0BS1U.gif

So the title of Queen is enough to rule women but it doesnt suffice when ruling women AND men? How does that make sense?

Asgard had a Queen literally one movie ago.

I believe I am the only feminist here, as you are the ones who belittled the title of "queen" and made it a lower rank.

Not every word has a masculine/feminine variation, but those that do arent meant to establish a hiarchy.
HXsiLXk.gif

Your lack understanding of the English language might be the issue here. Which I get. It's your second language. You mention there being a queen in Asgard in the first two films. Why was Frigga queen? Because she was married to the king. And guess the origin of queen...

queen | Etymology, origin and meaning of queen by etymonline

The most ancient Germanic sense of the word seems to have been "wife," which had specialized by Old English times to "wife of a king." In Old Norse the cognate word was still mostly "a wife" generally, as in kvan-fang "marriage, taking of a wife," kvanlauss "unmarried, widowed," kvan-riki "the domineering of a wife."

Now I am all for the reclaiming of the word by women. But in this case, with our queer king, who might just find herself a queen at some point, I'm going to default to Tessa, an outspoken feminist, and Taika, who has been very progressive and inclusive in his work. The leader of Asgard has always been a king, hence King Valkyrie. If you don't believe gender variation on language matters, then you really shouldn't care that is what she's called.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"