Thor: Love and Thunder | Official News and Speculation Thread

HXsiLXk.gif

Your lack understanding of the English language might be the issue here. Which I get. It's your second language. You mention there being a queen in Asgard in the first two films. Why was Frigga queen? Because she was married to the king. And guess the origin of queen...

queen | Etymology, origin and meaning of queen by etymonline

Now I am all for the reclaiming of the word by women. But in this case, with our queer king, who might just find herself a queen at some point, I'm going to default to Tessa, an outspoken feminist, and Taika, who has been very progressive and inclusive in his work. The leader of Asgard has always been a king, hence King Valkyrie. If you don't believe gender variation on language matters, then you really shouldn't care that is what she's called.

My take on this is that trying to crawl in the mind of someone and assume one thing or another, is treading on dangerous ground. If a title or character was insulting, that's another issue. I certainly don't see that here.

For as long as I can remember, I've referred to all actors (male and female) as "actors". The only time I don't is when I am specifically trying to delineate gender for one reason or another. A lot of people have asked me about that over the years. I don't think there's anything particularly wrong or insulting to use "actress", but I also don't think you can draw any conclusions about someone's mind set from those particular choices of words.

Bottom line is that people often make a point by their choice of words; both those I disagree and agree with. In this case, the choice makes complete sense to me.

Daniel Richtman - almost confirmed.
Hope we see Gorr this time

HXsiLXk.gif

Your lack understanding of the English language might be the issue here. Which I get. It's your second language. You mention there being a queen in Asgard in the first two films. Why was Frigga queen? Because she was married to the king. And guess the origin of queen...

queen | Etymology, origin and meaning of queen by etymonline

Now I am all for the reclaiming of the word by women. But in this case, with our queer king, who might just find herself a queen at some point, I'm going to default to Tessa, an outspoken feminist, and Taika, who has been very progressive and inclusive in his work. The leader of Asgard has always been a king, hence King Valkyrie. If you don't believe gender variation on language matters, then you really shouldn't care that is what she's called.

English is my 3rd language.

But its you who didnt understand my post.

I wrote quite clearly that ONE movie ago Asgard had a Queen. Thats Hela. In Ragnarok. She declared herself Queen.

I also clearly wrote that I do care for culture, language and the meaning of words. That is why I am against the belittling of the word "queen" and other female variations of titles.

If a "male king" was queer and found himself a husband he wouldnt become a queen. There is no wife in male/male marriages.

English is my 3rd language.

But its you who didnt understand my post.

I wrote quite clearly that ONE movie ago Asgard had a Queen. Thats Hela. In Ragnarok. She declared herself Queen.

I also clearly wrote that I do care for culture, language and the meaning of words. That is why I am against the belittling of the word "queen" and other female variations of titles.

If a "male king" was queer and found himself a husband he wouldnt become a queen. There is no wife in male/male marriages.
So your problem is Valkyrie chose her title differently from Hela, who was never the legitmate ruler of Asgard and murdered all of Valkyrie's people. Okay.

You constantly use male/female as opposed to man/woman to describe gendered language, which is divorced from sex. Why?

Why couldn't a man call himself a queen? If there is no difference in terms of rank for king/queen, why wouldn't a man be allowed to call himself a queen in such a relationship or in general?

Last edited:
Because of the subdued nature of the teaser I expect the official trailer to be balls of the wall crazy with a lot more Thor, a ton of action, Bale’s Gorr reveal, more Mighty Thor, a lot of surprises including unexpected characters and surprising casting reveals… it should be pretty massive.

I think they might opt for some orchestral score of sorts to accompany the trailer but a cool rock song would be greatly appreciated as well. Ragnarok’s official trailer had that synth track that sort of mirrored the official soundtrack.

Psyched for that trailer. Really want to get a look see at Gorr......

From what I've seen of Natalie, she looks pretty buffed out.

So your problem is Valkyrie chose her title differently from Hela, who was never the legitmate ruler of Asgard and murdered all of Valkyrie's people. Okay.

You constantly use male/female as opposed to man/woman to describe gendered language, which is divorced from sex. Why?

Why couldn't a man call himself a queen? If there is no difference in terms of rank for king/queen, why wouldn't a man be allowed to call himself a queen in such a relationship or in general?

My problem is Mavel Comics & MCU have already established a culture already. Within that culture, king/queen is not a rank thing, its a gender thing. A male ruler = king, a female ruler = queen. Male divinity= god, female divinity = goddess. And so on. Can you tell me what is wrong with that way? What are we trying to change it for and why?

I use male/female because it translates more closely to French which is "masculin/féminin", i hope im not using it the wrong way but i think you get what Im trying to say.

A man cant become a queen anymore then a boy can become a princess. Because those are titles related to women/girls. In our culture anyway.

Because of the subdued nature of the teaser I expect the official trailer to be balls of the wall crazy with a lot more Thor, a ton of action, Bale’s Gorr reveal, more Mighty Thor, a lot of surprises including unexpected characters and surprising casting reveals… it should be pretty massive.

I think they might opt for some orchestral score of sorts to accompany the trailer but a cool rock song would be greatly appreciated as well. Ragnarok’s official trailer had that synth track that sort of mirrored the official soundtrack.

I'm expecting some Gorr voiceover in the trailer, with the full reveal happening at the end.

My problem is Mavel Comics & MCU have already established a culture already. Within that culture, king/queen is not a rank thing, its a gender thing. A male ruler = king, a female ruler = queen. Male divinity= god, female divinity = goddess. And so on. Can you tell me what is wrong with that way? What are we trying to change it for and why?
In the MCU there are plenty of cultures. They differ and even change. In the case of Valkyrie, she's not bound by tired gender stereotypes. Her use of a suit, typically considered masculine, is a good example of that. She's called a king, because she wants to be called a king. And considering this clip from Tessa, perhaps it's touches on her queerness:

The MCU isn't great at LGBTQIA+ representation, but we have our first enby character on the horizon. They will not be bound by those "rules". Will that bother you?

I use male/female because it translates more closely to French which is "masculin/féminin", i hope im not using it the wrong way but i think you get what Im trying to say.
We are talking about gender, which would be man, woman, nonbinary, and any other gender identity.

A man cant become a queen anymore then a boy can become a princess. Because those are titles related to women/girls. In our culture anyway.
So can a nonbinary person be neither a king or a queen? What would their title be?

Last edited:
In the MCU there are plenty of cultures. They differ and even change. In the case of Valkyrie, she's not bound by tired gender stereotypes. Her use of a suit, typically considered masculine, is a good example of that. She's called a king, because she wants to be called a king. And considering this clip from Tessa, perhaps it's touches on her queerness:

The MCU isn't great at LGBTQIA+ representation, but we have our first enby character on the horizon. They will not be bound by those "rules". Will that bother you?

We are talking about gender, which would be man, woman, nonbinary, and any other pronouns used.

So can a nonbinary person be neither a king or a queen? What would their title be?

So it went from a feminist take to a LGBTQ + take?

Listen, we can go all day throwing hypotheticals that go nowhere and never get answered.

Im all for changing culture and language when they are demeaning. I just want to know who decided that the title of queen was demeaning, when and why.

Thats all Im trying to understand. Other then that Im a real fanboy Ill be in the threaters opening night.

I wasn't aware someone said the title of Queen was demeaning. I thought it was said that in some cultures and etymologies, it was related to wife; which I didn't know.....

I honestly don't see why any of this is an issue. If Valkyrie gets a spouse, they can use whatever title they want. It's not going to detract from the movie.

I just don't get why Valkyrie being King is an issue.

And, by the way, gender issues are part of our societies and include LGBTQ+ issues. When you speak to one, it's an easy reach to address this, and other, issues.

So it went from a feminist take to a LGBTQ + take?
It's both. You do realize the LGBTQIA+ contingent has a lot of women in it, right?

Listen, we can go all day throwing hypotheticals that go nowhere and never get answered.
No, this is simple. What would you call a nonbinary ruler in Asgard?

And if your answer is, "I don't have an answer", that's the point.

Im all for changing culture and language when they are demeaning. I just want to know who decided that the title of queen was demeaning, when and why.

all Im trying to understand. Other then that Im a real fanboy Ill be in the threaters opening night.
That's a strawman. Though it could be argued the origin of queen has a lot of issues, no one has ever said that it's demeaning. It's about not having to apply strict gendered language, which can and has had a lot of issues. If a little boy wants to be a queen or a little girl a king, it's not yours or anyone else's business to tell them they can't be that. Because what you enter is some dicey and outright gross territory, and hiding behind "established rules" and "culture norms" is not a defense.

I wasn't aware someone said the title of Queen was demeaning. I thought it was said that in some cultures and etymologies, it was related to wife; which I didn't know.....

I honestly don't see why any of this is an issue. If Valkyrie gets a spouse, they can use whatever title they want. It's not going to detract from the movie.

I just don't get why Valkyrie being King is an issue.

And, by the way, gender issues are part of our societies and include LGBTQ+ issues. When you speak to one, it's an easy reach to address this, and other, issues.

It was said that the title of queen is a lesser title.

I correctly pointed out that its NEVER been the case in Marvel Comics, the MCU or Norse mythology. So within the context of this fictional world Valkyrie is part of, that notion is completely false.

Just like it is false for all of us, the audience that will be watching the movie.

Ive asked multiple times why a female character like Valkyrie would call herself king, and Ive gotten no answer.

Ive asked multiple times why people are applying a false definition to a title clearly defined by gender, and Ive gotten no answer either.

No it will not detract from the movie.

I just want to understand why this creative choice was made and why people are lying about it.

It's both. You do realize the LGBTQIA+ contingent has a lot of women in it, right?

No, this is simple. What would you call a nonbinary ruler in Asgard?

And if your answer is, "I don't have an answer", that's the point.

That's a strawman. Though it could be argued the origin of queen has a lot of issues, no one has ever said that it's demeaning. It's about not having to apply strict gendered language, which can and has had a lot of issues. If a little boy wants to be a queen or a little girl a king, it's not yours or anyone else's business to tell them they can't be that. Because what you enter is some dicey and outright gross territory, and hiding behind "established rules" and "culture norms" is not a defense.

Dude... Do you know ANYTHING about the Valkyries?

Gendered language isnt so perplexing anymore is it?

Dude... Do you know ANYTHING about the Valkyries?

Gendered language isnt so perplexing anymore is it?
What is perplexing is how much you avoid my questions. So let's try this again.

1. What would you call a nonbinary ruler of Asgard?

2. Why can't a woman be a king or a man a queen?

She's the king of Asgard, not of the Valkyries. The leader of the Valkyries is actually called Valkyrie (it's a title) in the comics. Just so you know.

Last edited:
What is perplexing is how much you avoid my questions. So let's try this again.

1. What would you call a nonbinary ruler of Asgard?

2. Why can't a woman be a king or a man a queen?

She's the king of Asgard, not of the Valkyries. The leader of the Valkyries is actually called Valkyrie (it's a title) in the comics. Just so you know.

1. I would call them king or queen, depending on what gender they are.

2. King and queen are titles that are specifically related to gender. That is why a man can be a queen and a woman cant be a king.

Now answer. Are there any men in the Valkyries?

1. I would call them king or queen, depending on what gender they are.

2. King and queen are titles that are specifically related to gender. That is why a man can be a queen and a woman cant be a king.

Now answer. Are there any men in the Valkyries?
1. Their gender is nonbinary. So what would you call them?

2. So you are telling me a woman can't call herself a king and a man can't call themselves a queen. You made it very clear.

No. That has nothing to do with being the king of Asgard, which Valkyrie is.

2. So you are telling me a woman can't call herself a king and a man can't call themselves a queen. You made it very clear.

See answers below.
1. Whatever that person was comfortable with.
2. This is easy. I know lots of guys who call themselves queens. In fact, the Contessa cut my hair for years. Rumor has it she gives good

Haircuts.

Now. Are we done?

Why are there no men in the Valkyries?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"