X-Men - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suggest reading Age of X, then X-Men Legacy series starring LegiXn. If you're into X-Women, read the 26-issues of X-Men vol. 3. Read Marjorie Lui's run in Astonishing X-Men. Amazing X-Men is also a must read! The Mr. Sinister story-arc in Uncanny X-Men vol. 2 was cool too! EDIT: I thought you meant after!

By the way, I just read the Extraordinary 11&12, All-New 10&11 and the latest 3 issues of Uncanny X-Men and I don't feel like I've missed anything. The Apocalypse Wars story of All-New X-Men feels unnecessary. I don't know if it has an impact in later issues. Then Archangel/Colossus, we'll see. I'm not really into that Sapna kid and the new Hellfire Club story-arc. In my opinion, the most important X-story this year is Civil War II: X-Men. Its not really good and kinda slow, but I really hope it pays off when Death of X and IvX are released.

I'm in a weird dilemma. I actually enjoy the All-New book quite a bit but hate that it stars the O5. I wish Humphries was writing that book about other students. I like Evan being there. Maybe some of the New X-Men students as it's time for them to branch out. I mean, a road trip with Hellion, Rockslide, Anole, Broo, Kid Gladiator, etc. Maybe have Hellion and Quentin competing in some way. It could have been really enjoyable.

I would be cool with that line-up. Kid Gladiator is the one that I liked the most from the newer students.

I don't really care what random pairing of X-Men we get in random X-Men books (because I hate random pairing of random X-Men in random X-Men books) but I completely agree that Rogue and Gambit NEED to get back into X-Men proper. I feel like Gambit hasn't bee a core X-Man since the Blood of Apocalypse. Is that accurate?

He was in Marjorie Lui's run of Astonishing X-Men. But Karma, Northstar, Warbird and Iceman had more role in the comic-book. And recently he appeared in Civil War II; X-Men. And he was a mainstay of X-Men Legacy when the book became Rogue/Prof X centric, though he didn't really get much focus.

Last edited:
Hey! What's up? What should I read before "Utopia" (crossover storyline by Matt Fraction)?

It stands on it's own for the most part. Chronologically Necrosha X comes right before it and is referenced, but it isn't necessary. Then Necrosha X is the conclusion of a long run of X-Force. Other than that you could just go back to the previous issues of Uncanny by Fraction.

But if you don't WANT to read anything before hand, you don't have to. That goes with the Avengers side of things as well. So much so that Utopia is not included in Dark Avengers collections (oversized and such)

Secret Invasion and Dark Reign overall set the tone and landscape of the Marvel Universe but arent really required reading for the Dark Avengers/X-men conflict. IA with JewishHobbit that the crossover is pretty self contained and doesnt have alot of buildup prior

He was in Marjorie Lui's run of Astonishing X-Men. But Karma, Northstar, Warbird and Iceman had more role in the comic-book. And recently he appeared in Civil War II; X-Men. And he was a mainstay of X-Men Legacy when the book became Rogue/Prof X centric, though he didn't really get much focus.
He was in those books but I really wouldnt say he was a core X-man. Those books are side books and not flagship titles. They tend to be forgettable in the bigger X-men landscape. Legacy was pretty much a Rogue solo and not really a team book under Carey's writing. I do think the last time Gambit played a big role as an X-men team member was during Milligan's run nearly a decade ago. His stock has dropped dramatically since

Last edited:
Question from a trade waiter.

Do All-New, Uncanny and Extraordinary all tie into one another for Apocalypse War? Because I was holding out for when they were all compiled into a hardcover, but then I read the amazon description and I feel like it implies that the stories are fairly stand alone.

I believe they're standalone that are thematically connected a la The Fall of the Mutants.

Secret Invasion and Dark Reign overall set the tone and landscape of the Marvel Universe but arent really required reading for the Dark Avengers/X-men conflict. IA with JewishHobbit that the crossover is pretty self contained and doesnt have alot of buildup prior

He was in those books but I really wouldnt say he was a core X-man. Those books are side books and not flagship titles. They tend to be forgettable in the bigger X-men landscape. Legacy was pretty much a Rogue solo and not really a team book under Carey's writing. I do think the last time Gambit played a big role as an X-men team member was during Milligan's run nearly a decade ago. His stock has dropped dramatically since

Really? Astonishing X-Men/Legacy weren't flagship titles? So what were the flagship titles during those days?

I always considered Legacy as the 2nd flagship after Uncanny. Then Astonishing as the third (or fourth when the new Adjectiveless started).

Really? Astonishing X-Men/Legacy weren't flagship titles? So what were the flagship titles during those days?

I always considered Legacy as the 2nd flagship after Uncanny. Then Astonishing as the third (or fourth when the new Adjectiveless started).

What is and isnt a flagship title isnt static. That changes with writers and direction Marvel takes. It used to be pretty concrete in the 90s when every book had a clear purpose but things shifted around way too much this past decade with the number of X-men books exploding, ending, relaunching, rebranding, etc...

Through all this, the flagship was always Uncanny X-men. X-men v2 was a flagship title but that stopped being the case when it was rebranded X-men Legacy and became a Rogue solo and later Legion solo title. Neither run was leading the stories and landscape of the X-men franchise, unlike Uncanny where all the big stuff happened and we saw reactions in the other titles. Alot of the X-books featured B-teams as they largely got rid of the concept of satellite/spinoff teams with the exception of X-factor which remained a seperate entity and maybe X-force (which really were X-men)

Astonishing was only a flagship title when Whedon was on board. After he left the book became very random, switching writers and casts rather frequently, many times not even lining up with what was happening elsewhere

One could even argue that X-force (Yost and Kyle's run) could be considered a flagship title. Major things were happening in that book that had ripple effects in the other titles. It was the centerpiece for the Messiah Complex trilogy. It was essential reading and not something one could just skip

Wolverine and the X-men was created as the second flagship title after Schism and remained so for volume 1

Last edited:
Inhumans/X-Men "ResurrXion" to follow DoX and IvX (from Bleeding Cool):

T0cSDe4.png

And that MU thing turned out to be Monsters Unleashed...

Ugh enough of the X-men/Inhumans nonsense

Flagship titles/core reading from Morrison's run to now in chronological order (if memory serves). Prior to this it was Uncanny X-Men and X-Men all the way back.

New X-Men (Morrison)
Astonishing X-Men (Whedon)
House of M (Bendis)
Messiah Complex
Uncanny X-Men (Fraction) & X-Force (Kyle & Yost)
Second Coming
Uncanny X-Men (Fraction) & Uncanny X-Force (Remender)
Uncanny X-Men (Gillen)
Schism
Uncanny X-Men (Gillen) & Wolverine and the X-Men (Aaron)
Avengers vs. X-Men
Uncanny X-Men (Bendis) & All-New X-Men (Bendis)
Battle of the Atom
Uncanny X-Men (Bendis) & All-New X-Men (Bendis) (though not so much on ANXM)
Extraordinary X-Men (Lemire) & Uncanny X-Men (Bunn)

Correct me if I've missed something.

Flagship titles/core reading from Morrison's run to now in chronological order (if memory serves). Prior to this it was Uncanny X-Men and X-Men all the way back.

New X-Men (Morrison)
House of M (Bendis)
Messiah Complex
Uncanny X-Men (Fraction) & X-Force (Kyle & Yost)
Second Coming
Uncanny X-Men (Fraction) & Uncanny X-Force (Remender)
Uncanny X-Men (Gillen)
Schism
Uncanny X-Men (Gillen) & Wolverine and the X-Men (Aaron)
Avengers vs. X-Men
Uncanny X-Men (Bendis) & All-New X-Men (Bendis)
Battle of the Atom
Uncanny X-Men (Bendis) & All-New X-Men (Bendis) (though not so much on ANXM)
Extraordinary X-Men (Lemire) & Uncanny X-Men (Bunn)

Correct me if I've missed something.
Every Uncanny X-men and X-men run prior to Messiah Complex.

Oh and I wouldnt count mini-series as flagship series. Thats for ongoings

Every Uncanny X-men and X-men run prior to Messiah Complex.

I disagree.

During Morrison's New X-Men run we had Casey and Austen's run on Uncanny and Claremont's X-Treme. While I enjoyed all three runs, none of them guided the X-Men world like Morrison's run did. They all read like side stories and did next to nothing to influence the franchise at the time. Morrison's run was 100% the core X-Men title at the time.

Post-Morrison gave us Astonishing and then Claremont's run Uncanny and then Austen's and Milligan's runs on X-Men. Astonishing drove the franchise, and it was that team that constantly guest starred everywhere. The Uncanny and X-Men teams were afterthoughts at the time and have since been entirely forgettable. Really the only thing of any importance that happened there was MAYBE Blood of Apocalypse, and even that was due to Gambit's being a Horseman becoming a storyline later in Carey's X-Men run... which itself was still a side X-Men book.

Then after House of M we had Claremont's Uncanny run wrap up and turned over to Carey, and then Brubaker took over Uncanny. Again, both runs were good but side stories to what was happening in Astonishing. Though in hindsight I could perhaps believe that Carey's run on X-Men at THAT time could be considered a co-flagship with the later half of Astonishing. It did influence a lot of what happened in Messiah Complex. Brubaker's Uncanny though was completely removed from the X-Men world like Claremont's X-Treme X-Men title was.

Oh and I wouldnt count mini-series as flagship series. Thats for ongoings

I mostly just put those in there as points of reference because they were important toward the flagship titles.

Last edited:
Inhumans/X-Men "ResurrXion" to follow DoX and IvX (from Bleeding Cool):

T0cSDe4.png

And that MU thing turned out to be Monsters Unleashed...

The first issue of Death of X is not even out yet and we already know the next issue after IvX?

I disagree.

During Morrison's New X-Men run we had Casey and Austen's run on Uncanny and Claremont's X-Treme. While I enjoyed all three runs, none of them guided the X-Men world like Morrison's run did. They all read like side stories and did next to nothing to influence the franchise at the time. Morrison's run was 100% the core X-Men title at the time.

Post-Morrison gave us Astonishing and then Claremont's run Uncanny and then Austen's and Milligan's runs on X-Men. Astonishing drove the franchise, and it was that team that constantly guest starred everywhere. The Uncanny and X-Men teams were afterthoughts at the time and have since been entirely forgettable. Really the only thing of any importance that happened there was MAYBE Blood of Apocalypse, and even that was due to Gambit's being a Horseman becoming a storyline later in Carey's X-Men run... which itself was still a side X-Men book.

Then after House of M we had Claremont's Uncanny run wrap up and turned over to Carey, and then Brubaker took over Uncanny. Again, both runs were good but side stories to what was happening in Astonishing. Though in hindsight I could perhaps believe that Carey's run on X-Men at THAT time could be considered a co-flagship with the later half of Astonishing. It did influence a lot of what happened in Messiah Complex. Brubaker's Uncanny though was completely removed from the X-Men world like Claremont's X-Treme X-Men title was.

I mostly just put those in there as points of reference because they were important toward the flagship titles.

When Morrison was writing, I really dont see what the difference was between New X-men and Uncanny and X-men and Uncanny in the early 90s. It was the same set up with Uncanny featuring the "away" team" and X-men featuring the "home" team. X-men felt more important bc it had the more popular characters and Marvel gave it a heavy push. Uncanny wasnt as prominent but it was still important.

Its funny how you say that New X-men was the sole flagship title bc it guided the X-men world, when Astonshing did not. it did not drive the franchise. It was only considered flagship for the fact that it had a high profile writer which Marvel heavily promoted but that book was overall irrelevant to the franchise. The only two things of consequnce that came out of that book were Colossus' resurrection and Kitty's "death". However considering how late the book was, it was very isolated and barely referenced elsewhere. It lived in its own bubble.

Uncanny and X-men were the two books that drove the franchise after Morrison. ALL the fallout from the major events played out there. The new status quo following HoM and deciMation were not led by Astonishing. We saw that in Milligan's X-men and Claremont's Uncanny. The leadup to Messiah Complex, the single most important event which drove story for years to come occurred in Uncanny and X-men, not Astonishing. Lets say Astonishing never existed. It would have had zero impact on the X-books at the time

The first issue of Death of X is not even out yet and we already know the next issue after IvX?

Why is this a surprise? We always know about events months in advance

Last edited:
The thing is, for me, it could be another "heroes vs heroes" event...

Yeah but it is still too early when Civil War II isn't done yet and they still have two 4 mini-series coming out.
Is it though? Current Marvel seems to always have a crossover or event going on at all times. They always tease things months in advance and thats irregardless of whatever event is currently going on or about to launch.

Civil War II is irrelevant bc the X-men dont have any major role in that and will likely not have any lasting side effects from it. It really has nothing to do with the Inhumans vs X-men/mutant conflict that the books have been building up over the past several months

Last edited:
Ugh enough of the X-men/Inhumans nonsense

The conflict between mutants and inhumans is about the only thing that has some real potential in the new status quo. (Despite the silly m-pox name, ugh)

I hope the event doesn't completely wipe away the potential for conflict.

The conflict between mutants and inhumans is about the only thing that has some real potential in the new status quo. (Despite the silly m-pox name, ugh)

I hope the event doesn't completely wipe away the potential for conflict.
That alone speaks volumes to just how sh-ty the line is

I haven't seen a mutant actually get killed from those Terrigen Mists so I'm looking forward to witness that in the upcoming issues!

Well so far, according to the previous issues, they've mentioned that mutants die when they get hit by the terrigen mists but I haven't seen it actually happen. So maybe in Death of X they will actually show what really happens when a mutant gets hit by Terrigen Mist, like I wanna see the process and the brutality of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"