X-Men - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah, Cyclops died and we found out why. Glad we are finally going to get answers after all this time.

I took the plunge and have read at least the first arc of each of the 3 X-men books. The books actually arent that bad. I do hate that Marvel has demonized Scott. This is worst than anything they've done with him in the past 30 years. They seem to want to put him on the same level as a Red Skull, the way everyone is talking about him and as a fan, I cant get behind that.

Uncanny

I dreaded going through this one bc Greg Land is the artist but I have to say this is his best art in years. He's not great with action sequences, but his still shots are fine. The writing is decent hear and Im fine with the team. I really hope Fantomex and Mystique dont join as their stuff so far feels secondary and I hope it stays that way. Im really digging that M is finally on a flaghsip X-men title.

I had no clue how this team was X-men and if they were even recognized as such but they intersect with Storm's team early on and confirm that they are. Did Psylocke and this Sabretooth ever come to some resolution bc I am having a hard time seeing them on the same team considering he nearly slaughtered her in the 90s. its not even brought up so Im assuming this was handled in some other book.

Who the heck is Triage and where did he come from?

I dont want the answer but explain how Archangel is back? Do they go into what happened with Warren/nuAngel?

Extraordinary
Why the hell is the school in limbo? This X-Haven stuff is so dumb. Of course the demons start attacking and it seems such a foolish decision bc their safety is contingent on Illyana not being knocked out? Okay

I like that Bobby has an actual costume instead of running around in nothing but shorts or a speedo. Ramos' designs overall are horrible though. WTF is Jean wearing? Illyana's costume doesnt look that bad but I dont get her head gear. It literally sticks out of her head which makes no sense. And why did he remove her signature bangs? Kurt's? Yuck.

I never cared for Wolverine and Jean but I like OMLogan and TeenJean. Im interesting in seeing this relationship develop as I like how she got him with the team. I have a feeling their dynamic will be the most interesting one.

Has Sinister interacted with any of the teen O5? Its weird that he doesnt really acknowledge Jean here.

Also, im not getting how this terrigen mist thing works. So if a mutant comes into contact with it, it will give them a disease that kills them. Mutants have been exposed before, most notably in X-factor. Why was there no mention of this disease before? How did this terrigen bomb work anyway? Are the mists just part of the atmosphere now and if so, shouldnt theoretically every mutant have been exposed to it. They must have considering they've made it a point in saying that all mutants are now sterile. With that said, that shouldnt mean the end of mutation bc non-mutants can produce mutant children. Most mutants we know come from baseline human parents.

All New X-men

Opposite of what I felt about Ramos, I loved the Bagley designs here. Cyclop's costume especially looks great but so do the rest. The one thing Id change on Angel's is his color scheme bc the Iron Man look doesnt suit him. Id have prepared his classic red/white or blue/white.

Speaking of Angel, do his wings do anything or are they there just for visual effect. I thought he could shoot energy and or cut through things with his cosmic enhancements but literally all he's done in the first few issues is fly around, which seems to defeat the purpose of getting enhanced since thats all he did before. He and Laura seem like such an odd pairing but it fits bc the older him has a very similar relationship with Psylocke and they suffered the same issues, especially circa UXM 350.

What are Kid Apocalypse' powers? The only material I've really read of him was UXF so missed all his development as a student. He and Idie so far feel very irrelevant to this team and book. It still very much feels like the O5(4) plus X-23 as those two dont fit and arent integrated well. Why are they even here and how did they connect with them? Its obvious that they dont even know each other as Bobby had no clue what Idie's powers were.

Its good to have 3 distinct X-men books again, with no overallapping cast. Probably best thing Marvel did was tightening up the continuity here bc it got out of control during the SF/Utopia years. Its too bad there are no spinoff titles bc there seems to be no home for any of the B or C list characters. Its pretty much the A-listers getting spotlight, plus the two I mentioned in ANX

Marvel's really gotta start boosting the X-Men back up, stop stunt-replacing characters, and stop with the endless events.
I think the only thing that can save Marvel from getting their asses kicked on comic stands month after month is the X-Men

Send the O5 home, bring Wolverine, Xavier, Emma and Cyclops back, and start repairing the damage

Wolverine, Xavier and Emma can stay gone. Xavier hasnt felt relevant within the X-men in years. Going back to Morrison's run which is the last time he truly belong. He only works as headmaster and mentor to the younger generation but he outgrew that role, especially as his students became the teachers. He never quite fit in after Morrison made those drastic changes to the school and the immediate followup to his run had the X-men take on the mentor roles which Xavier used to fill.

Wolverine was overexposed for so long that its good to get a break from him. In the interim, I think Laura as the new Wolverine and Old Man Logan to offer a new perspective currently work. Wolverine's only been dead 2 years. I think its too soon to bring him back when there's still more to be done without him.

Emma? Still have no clue where she is. To me she's like Xavier in that she works as a teacher and headmistress. Less so as an actual X-man. With that said, they shouldnt introduce any new X-kids and the ones that do exist, really shouldnt be students anymore. Im fine with Emma off doing her own thing and being a supporting character that pops up when the plot calls for her.

Cyclops though? He needs to be back and Marvel needs to redeem him after the sledgehammer they've taken to his character. He's pretty much been maligned since AvX and its only gotten worse. If they can bring Scarlet Witch back and have her be a respected member within the superhero community again after what she did, then surely the same can be done with him

Idk, Wolverine was "overexposed" to some people, but was still by far the most popular X-Man.
Old Man Logan is outselling AN Wolverine by a good margin, so clearly readers still prefer Logan to Laura; and while I like OML, that story only has so much mileage to it, imo. Plus Logan's death story was so poorly handled, and with very little follow up outside of Laura taking his name, that I don't feel the benefits of him being dead.

on Xavier and Emma, you're right about Xavier, but I'm just thinking of lead characters who were heavily involved last time the books were actually good... Xavier still has an impact even in death, so yeah, I guess he doesn't need to come back. But I still think Emma made a great female lead for an X-series

I really don't want Emma, Cyclops, Xavier and Wolverine back. Well Emma, sure, since I don't think she's dead. But the other three, give it a rest, maybe in 2019, okay. But the books need to focus more on Storm, Psylocke, Angel, Iceman. I would like to see M become a A-tier X-Men. I want Polaris back! I'm also tired of Magneto, so I hope they kill him off in IvX.

There's also that old looking Logan, so we don't really need two Logans.

I like M... but she's essentially playing the Rogue role from the 90s power set wise.. and imo while i like her, she has far less charisma than 90s rogue.. she's often like 90s rogues powers with Emma Frosts demeanor..

speaking of which.. i cant even remember the last time Rogue was fun, confident and spunky.. it seems like once Singer's X-men came out she's been incredibly self-loathing and confident. I don't recall her even gaining much confidence even after she gained the ability to turn her power on and off.

I like M... but she's essentially playing the Rogue role from the 90s power set wise.. and imo while i like her, she has far less charisma than 90s rogue.. she's often like 90s rogues powers with Emma Frosts demeanor..

speaking of which.. i cant even remember the last time Rogue was fun, confident and spunky.. it seems like once Singer's X-men came out she's been incredibly self-loathing and confident. I don't recall her even gaining much confidence even after she gained the ability to turn her power on and off.

there are very few original powers. Most major characters created in the past 20 years have some variation of something we've already seen before. M is nothing like Rogue personality wise so that sets her apart. Aside from the strength/flight, she also has telepathy which comes into play and of course she cant steal powers. Comparing her to Rogue is really oversimplifying her bc she is handled completely different

there are very few original powers. Most major characters created in the past 20 years have some variation of something we've already seen before. M is nothing like Rogue personality wise so that sets her apart. Aside from the strength/flight, she also has telepathy which comes into play and of course she cant steal powers. Comparing her to Rogue is really oversimplifying her bc she is handled completely different

i'm just saying, she fills that slot.. she's basically a less (but still b$@#&y) emma frost with Rogue's 90s "ms marvel" powers (in addition to emma's telepathy"

It may be over simplifying.. but i'd much rather see a kick ass confident Rogue again than M personally.

I love M, but she imo may never be A-list until she begins to greatly feel original.. and i feel she just is sorta stuck "blending in"

i'm just saying, she fills that slot.. she's basically a less (but still b$@#&y) emma frost with Rogue's 90s "ms marvel" powers (in addition to emma's telepathy"

It may be over simplifying.. but i'd much rather see a kick ass confident Rogue again than M personally.

I love M, but she imo may never be A-list until she begins to greatly feel original.. and i feel she just is sorta stuck "blending in"

Do you read Uncanny Avengers? You'll have to go there if thats what you want. Even before that, the Rogue you describe was present in the all female X-men cast. There's room for more than one kick ass female mutant in the MU

Last edited:
Do you read Uncanny Avengers? You'll have to go there if thats what you want. Even before that, the Rogue you describe was present in the all female X-men cast. There's room for more than one kick ass female mutant in the MU

oh i'm aware. And i hope she's better, but i quit reading comics in general a few years ago.. i just wasn't liking the direction most were going in, i didn't like all the massive MU shattering shake-up events on a yearly basis, and really didn't like the concept of marvel essentially throwing darts at a board to pick there team rosters and "shake things up"

i still follow whats happening. but i'm still not enthused enough to care or buy

I took the plunge and have read at least the first arc of each of the 3 X-men books. The books actually arent that bad. I do hate that Marvel has demonized Scott. This is worst than anything they've done with him in the past 30 years. They seem to want to put him on the same level as a Red Skull, the way everyone is talking about him and as a fan, I cant get behind that.

Uncanny

I dreaded going through this one bc Greg Land is the artist but I have to say this is his best art in years. He's not great with action sequences, but his still shots are fine. The writing is decent hear and Im fine with the team. I really hope Fantomex and Mystique dont join as their stuff so far feels secondary and I hope it stays that way. Im really digging that M is finally on a flaghsip X-men title.

I had no clue how this team was X-men and if they were even recognized as such but they intersect with Storm's team early on and confirm that they are. Did Psylocke and this Sabretooth ever come to some resolution bc I am having a hard time seeing them on the same team considering he nearly slaughtered her in the 90s. its not even brought up so Im assuming this was handled in some other book.

Who the heck is Triage and where did he come from?

I dont want the answer but explain how Archangel is back? Do they go into what happened with Warren/nuAngel?

Extraordinary
Why the hell is the school in limbo? This X-Haven stuff is so dumb. Of course the demons start attacking and it seems such a foolish decision bc their safety is contingent on Illyana not being knocked out? Okay

I like that Bobby has an actual costume instead of running around in nothing but shorts or a speedo. Ramos' designs overall are horrible though. WTF is Jean wearing? Illyana's costume doesnt look that bad but I dont get her head gear. It literally sticks out of her head which makes no sense. And why did he remove her signature bangs? Kurt's? Yuck.

I never cared for Wolverine and Jean but I like OMLogan and TeenJean. Im interesting in seeing this relationship develop as I like how she got him with the team. I have a feeling their dynamic will be the most interesting one.

Has Sinister interacted with any of the teen O5? Its weird that he doesnt really acknowledge Jean here.

Also, im not getting how this terrigen mist thing works. So if a mutant comes into contact with it, it will give them a disease that kills them. Mutants have been exposed before, most notably in X-factor. Why was there no mention of this disease before? How did this terrigen bomb work anyway? Are the mists just part of the atmosphere now and if so, shouldnt theoretically every mutant have been exposed to it. They must have considering they've made it a point in saying that all mutants are now sterile. With that said, that shouldnt mean the end of mutation bc non-mutants can produce mutant children. Most mutants we know come from baseline human parents.

All New X-men

Opposite of what I felt about Ramos, I loved the Bagley designs here. Cyclop's costume especially looks great but so do the rest. The one thing Id change on Angel's is his color scheme bc the Iron Man look doesnt suit him. Id have prepared his classic red/white or blue/white.

Speaking of Angel, do his wings do anything or are they there just for visual effect. I thought he could shoot energy and or cut through things with his cosmic enhancements but literally all he's done in the first few issues is fly around, which seems to defeat the purpose of getting enhanced since thats all he did before. He and Laura seem like such an odd pairing but it fits bc the older him has a very similar relationship with Psylocke and they suffered the same issues, especially circa UXM 350.

What are Kid Apocalypse' powers? The only material I've really read of him was UXF so missed all his development as a student. He and Idie so far feel very irrelevant to this team and book. It still very much feels like the O5(4) plus X-23 as those two dont fit and arent integrated well. Why are they even here and how did they connect with them? Its obvious that they dont even know each other as Bobby had no clue what Idie's powers were.

Its good to have 3 distinct X-men books again, with no overallapping cast. Probably best thing Marvel did was tightening up the continuity here bc it got out of control during the SF/Utopia years. Its too bad there are no spinoff titles bc there seems to be no home for any of the B or C list characters. Its pretty much the A-listers getting spotlight, plus the two I mentioned in ANX

Triage was one of the mutants from Bendis's Uncanny run. And yes, they do go over what happened with Archangel in the next arc, they don't just sweep the Uncanny X-force/Wolverine and the X-men under the table.

Near as I can tell, the Terrigen Bomb eventually lead to the formation of the Terrigen Cloud(s), which is what is causing the M-pox (god, I hate that name). I think that maybe the Terrigen Cloud is a bit different than the actual Terrigen Mists, but who knows. But, I think Death of X will cover this a bit more in depth.

They seem to be going into a bit more of the ramifications of young Warren's wings in All New. And Evan's powers seems to be relegated to shape shifting at the moment.

oh i'm aware. And i hope she's better, but i quit reading comics in general a few years ago.. i just wasn't liking the direction most were going in, i didn't like all the massive MU shattering shake-up events on a yearly basis, and really didn't like the concept of marvel essentially throwing darts at a board to pick there team rosters and "shake things up"

i still follow whats happening. but i'm still not enthused enough to care or buy

Sadly, when it comes to Marvel, you aren't missing much. And you sure called it with the dartboard line ups. Teams randomly show up together with no explanation (or very little anyway) and it never sticks because it shifts again with the next little shake up (about 12 months later give or take). I don't feel like there's been a solid X-Men line up since Whedon's Astonishing X-Men. It's been a shuffle ever since. Well, maybe Fraction's run, but there were so many other X-Men here and there and sprinkled in other titles that it never felt like there was a solid, core line up. It was pretty much Cyclops, Emma, Namor, and the other guys.

Not to be THAT guy, but I stopped spending money on comics probably two or three years ago. Marvel's just not worth the money. DC, however, has really been great. I reward them with TPB. Really, the only Marvel book that's really impressed me over the past year or two is Ultimates, but that's been derailed (predictably) by Civil War II. I hear Vision is good too. I might check it out if I can get the will up to not spend money on it.

Sadly, when it comes to Marvel, you aren't missing much. And you sure called it with the dartboard line ups. Teams randomly show up together with no explanation (or very little anyway) and it never sticks because it shifts again with the next little shake up (about 12 months later give or take). I don't feel like there's been a solid X-Men line up since Whedon's Astonishing X-Men. It's been a shuffle ever since. Well, maybe Fraction's run, but there were so many other X-Men here and there and sprinkled in other titles that it never felt like there was a solid, core line up. It was pretty much Cyclops, Emma, Namor, and the other guys.

Not to be THAT guy, but I stopped spending money on comics probably two or three years ago. Marvel's just not worth the money. DC, however, has really been great. I reward them with TPB. Really, the only Marvel book that's really impressed me over the past year or two is Ultimates, but that's been derailed (predictably) by Civil War II. I hear Vision is good too. I might check it out if I can get the will up to not spend money on it.

yeah there's been nothing to drawl me back in..

IA with that to an extent but the Uncanny cast from later Fraction to Gillen to Bendis was relatively fairly consistent. It wasnt just random mutants thrown together. Cyclops served as leader and his squad each had a purpose and explanation for why they were in the book. The core cast revolved around he, Emma and Magneto with varying members which made sense for each run. The story threads carried through with each run as it was basically Cyclop's personal story arc

Last edited:
IA with that to an extent but the Uncanny cast from later Fraction to Gillen to Bendis was relatively fairly consistent. It wasnt just random mutants thrown together. Cyclops served as leader and his squad each had a purpose and explanation for why they were in the book. The core cast revolved around he, Emma and Magneto with varying members which made sense for each run. The story threads carried through with each run as it was basically Cyclop's personal story arc

Eh, I get what you're saying but still don't really feel like it fits. Yes, Scott, Emma, Magneto, and Namor were consistent, but there were way too many other X-Men around, and for me that just muddied everything up. It never felt like a solid, consistent team. It was literally every X-man ever.

Eh, I get what you're saying but still don't really feel like it fits. Yes, Scott, Emma, Magneto, and Namor were consistent, but there were way too many other X-Men around, and for me that just muddied everything up. It never felt like a solid, consistent team. It was literally every X-man ever.

That was only when Fraction was writing solo during the SF/Utopia era. That started to get cleaned up after Gillen came on board and then Schism allowed him to shake things up and streamline the book. Uncanny X-men v2 had a solid team for its entire run with none of the extra mutants to muddle it and Uncanny X-men v3 also had a consistent team. Collectively that was over 60 issues of relative consistency in lineup

Fraction/Gillen: Cyclops, Emma, Magneto, Magik, Namor, Colossus, Kitty
Gillen: Cyclops, Emma, Magneto, Magik, Namor, Colossus, Storm, Hope, Danger
Bendis: Cyclops, Emma, Magneto, Magik

Last edited:
December 2016 solitications!
IvX #1
Extraordinary X-Men #17
Uncanny X-Men #16
All New X-Men #16

Mutants only have 2 months until Earth is inhabitable for them! Will they be heading to the moon or space after this?

I wonder what impact that will have on the mutants in the non-X-men books bc to my knowledge the Avengers titles arent really handling this Inhuman nonsense

Might impact my wallet as I buy less books.....

I'm still kind of surprised Uncanny Inhumans isn't tying in. You figure it should.

I saw the flyer for Death of X and got excited to see Cyclops, but I know I probably shouldn't be. I haven't read many comics at all since Secret Wars ended.

I saw the flyer for Death of X and got excited to see Cyclops, but I know I probably shouldn't be. I haven't read many comics at all since Secret Wars ended.

Well he's dead so there's nothing to be excited on if you are a fan of his

That was only when Fraction was writing solo during the SF/Utopia era. That started to get cleaned up after Gillen came on board and then Schism allowed him to shake things up and streamline the book. Uncanny X-men v2 had a solid team for its entire run with none of the extra mutants to muddle it and Uncanny X-men v3 also had a consistent team. Collectively that was over 60 issues of relative consistency in lineup

Fraction/Gillen: Cyclops, Emma, Magneto, Magik, Namor, Colossus, Kitty
Gillen: Cyclops, Emma, Magneto, Magik, Namor, Colossus, Storm, Hope, Danger
Bendis: Cyclops, Emma, Magneto, Magik

Yes, but remember that during that period there were multiple "core" titles that mixed and matched as well. We had Wolverine & the X-Men and Uncanny X-Force during Gillen's run. Then during Bendis' run he also had All-New X-Men while there was still Wolverine & the X-Men, Uncanny X-Force, X-Men, etc.

So yeah, if you look at just Uncanny X-Men there's been a little bit of consistency post-Fraction, but the X-Men were scattered over a bunch of X-Men and X-Force titles, multiple characters in multiple titles and not all of them in the same ones. It was a big mixture and they were ALL X-Men and not even the same X-Men.

Yes, but remember that during that period there were multiple "core" titles that mixed and matched as well. We had Wolverine & the X-Men and Uncanny X-Force during Gillen's run. Then during Bendis' run he also had All-New X-Men while there was still Wolverine & the X-Men, Uncanny X-Force, X-Men, etc.

But how is that any different than the past? Gillen's UXM had WaTX as a counterpart just like UXM and X-men in the 90s and later X-treme at the turn of the century. UXF, well....there was X-force as well, not to mention several other satellite teams. Post Schism....even if characters appeared in multiple books, most of them still had a consistent lineup within the individual titles

So yeah, if you look at just Uncanny X-Men there's been a little bit of consistency post-Fraction, but the X-Men were scattered over a bunch of X-Men and X-Force titles, multiple characters in multiple titles and not all of them in the same ones. It was a big mixture and they were ALL X-Men and not even the same X-Men.

Yes all were mostly X-men during this era with more bleeding between titles , but thats besides the point I was making which was about Uncanny X-men having a relatively consistent team. You said there hasnt been a consistent core lineup since Astonishing X-men under Whedon so that claim was a direct response to that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"