X-Men - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I didn't know these students' ethnicities because outside of Quenton and Jubilee I have no idea who the heck they are. The lack of diversity was just a major complaint I saw from the Blue/Gold announcements.

Hopefully that's where some of the MIA players wind up.

And what does his eye-sight have to do with him seeing his supposed privilige? That's completely unrelated to his powers which, if used right, could make Trevor a very skilled fighter instead of constantly getting used as a joke.

As for the concept, it wouldn't bother me if it wasn't for the continued presence of the O5. If we got this "lovable loser" book AND a team showcasing the young heroes who are actually capable, that would be great. Instead they continue to have the O5 overshadow the young mutants that should be in their place while the other team is a hodge-podge of safe, bankable classic mutants.

Xmen Blue has a clear premise and its supposed to be about the original X-men. They shouldnt throw diversity in there for diversity sake when thats not who those characters are. For what its worth, Iceman is at least gay

I dont get the latter complaint. People on here have been complaining about the O5 being featured in ANX, saying their presence is why the newer generation of kids didnt have a title. Well Marvel listened and we have two teen books, one with the O5 and the other with the new generation. Why is it still an issue that when they arent taking anything away from the other kids? People need to make up their minds bc its coming across as hating just for the sake of hating

Last edited:
Well a lot of people are fans of Gen X, New X-Men, Wolverine's students, etc
the New X-Men specifically still have a ton of fans
So part of the complaint has been that the O5 are hoggin' up all the limelight when there are plenty of interesting young mutants who could be developed
Then, they finally deliver a young X-Men book, and it's about a number of lesser known and less-liked characters
I'll give the new kids a chance to grow, but it'd be nice to see Surge, Hellion, et al

and the O5, well, they almost got X-Men cancelled back in the day cuz they're so damn boring, and it's no different now... but Marvel says "lets give them one of the two flagships!"

idk, it's funny how the Resurrexion book titles were so exciting, and then the reveals are so not

Well a lot of people are fans of Gen X, New X-Men, Wolverine's students, etc
the New X-Men specifically still have a ton of fans
So part of the complaint has been that the O5 are hoggin' up all the limelight when there are plenty of interesting young mutants who could be developed
Then, they finally deliver a young X-Men book, and it's about a number of lesser known and less-liked characters
I'll give the new kids a chance to grow, but it'd be nice to see Surge, Hellion, et al

and the O5, well, they almost got X-Men cancelled back in the day cuz they're so damn boring, and it's no different now... but Marvel says "lets give them one of the two flagships!"

idk, it's funny how the Resurrexion book titles were so exciting, and then the reveals are so not
I dont get the hogging up argument. ANX v1 existed alongside WaTX. They didnt take spotlight away from any of those kids. Marvel streamlined the books across the board last year and incorporated 2 of the more prominent WATX cast members into ANX v2 while keeping most of the other kids as part of Extraordinary's supporting cast. They had an entire arc dedicated to them during Apocalypse Wars.

The O5 arent boring and they didnt nearly get the X-men cancelled. Different times and the writing wasnt good. For what its worth, the book had improved towards the end during the run with Neal Adams on art but it was too late to turn it around. This argument against them doesnt hold up bc it was a different time. They were the cast of X-Factor which went on to be one of Marvel's best selling title in the 80s. Jean, Cyclops, Beast, Iceman and Archangel are among the most popular and well known X-men characters. When ANX v1 hit, out of all the various X-men team books, it was consistently the best selling throughout its run. Clearly there is interest in them despite the vocal minority on here

I'm good with Weapon X if

Creed
Wild Child
M
X-23

Are on it.

If Jean Grey is 616 Jean then I'm cool too and if Cable has a cool writer I'll be happy.

Really like Generation X just wish Husk was co-leading

I like Gold alot but have no faith in the writer

Love Blue writer but dislike the roster so I won't get that.

Really dislike Iceman as gay but I'll still support

Post IvX I'm getting

Gold
GenX
Iceman
Cable*
Jean Grey*
WeaponX*

I'm good with Weapon X if

Creed
Wild Child
M
X-23

Are on it.

If Jean Grey is 616 Jean then I'm cool too and if Cable has a cool writer I'll be happy.

Really like Generation X just wish Husk was co-leading

I like Gold alot but have no faith in the writer

Love Blue writer but dislike the roster so I won't get that.

Really dislike Iceman as gay but I'll still support

Post IvX I'm getting

Gold
GenX
Iceman
Cable*
Jean Grey*
WeaponX*
Jean Grey is about the current teen version

I hope Weapon X also features Psylocke as well. X-23, Psylocke and M...I need this trio

Based on the teaser, Sabertooth, Wild Child, X-23, Old man Logan, and Deadpool seems likely.

Oh, and I forgot Sauron, which is a wtf that has my interest.

Gen X looks so uninteresting. Once again the New X-Men are ignored.

Is Weapon X gonna be a X-Men team? If its another X-Force like spin off, count me out.

I dont get the hogging up argument. ANX v1 existed alongside WaTX. They didnt take spotlight away from any of those kids. Marvel streamlined the books across the board last year and incorporated 2 of the more prominent WATX cast members into ANX v2 while keeping most of the other kids as part of Extraordinary's supporting cast. They had an entire arc dedicated to them during Apocalypse Wars.

The O5 arent boring and they didnt nearly get the X-men cancelled. Different times and the writing wasnt good. For what its worth, the book had improved towards the end during the run with Neal Adams on art but it was too late to turn it around. This argument against them doesnt hold up bc it was a different time. They were the cast of X-Factor which went on to be one of Marvel's best selling title in the 80s. Jean, Cyclops, Beast, Iceman and Archangel are among the most popular and well known X-men characters. When ANX v1 hit, out of all the various X-men team books, it was consistently the best selling throughout its run. Clearly there is interest in them despite the vocal minority on here

They hogged the spotlight in the sense that Marvel wouldn't produce multiple books focused on the students, and they made the O5 the stars of that one book that did. Yes they added Idie and Evan, but all the press for the series has focused on the O5, and they will be the ones continuing on to the Blue book. And extraordinary had a story about the kids, but they are fully background characters in that book, if they don't make the cover, they ain't the stars.

And I just disagree on the O5... ANX started out as a top seller, but has slipped over time, finishing the past few months behind books like Gwenpool and Prowler. The adult versions grew and became interesting over the years, but the teen O5 were vanilla and uninteresting in their own time (yes, writing back then was rough, but still, Spider-Man and F4 didn't almost get cancelled) Plus, in this modern Diversity Era, they are just so painfully white that Marvel had to expect some griping about it.

I mean, I'm not tryin to convince you not to like them, glad you're enjoying it, but the numbers seem to indicate the teen O5 can't sustain their own book for too long.

And, just from a story standpoint, it feels like they've now stayed well past their welcome

http://www.newsarama.com/32188-jean-grey-s-first-ever-ongoing-is-coming-and-so-is-the-phoenix.html

JEANGREY-Teaser.jpg

http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F06%2Fsmashed-computer.gif

See, THIS right here summarizes my whole problem with the O5. QUENTON FREAKING QUIRE is the next Phoenix, but NO, now we have time-displaced Jean Grey getting a solo and proceeding to steal a good, new character's limelight. It's just creatively bankrupt.:csad:

Last edited:
Who really cares about Quire as Phoenix. That has never really seemed like a good story for him. I love Quire, but I don't think the Phoenix story is really a good fit for him.

http://www.newsarama.com/32188-jean-grey-s-first-ever-ongoing-is-coming-and-so-is-the-phoenix.html

JEANGREY-Teaser.jpg

http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F06%2Fsmashed-computer.gif

See, THIS right here summarizes my whole problem with the O5. QUENTON FREAKING QUIRE is the next Phoenix, but NO, now we have time-displaced Jean Grey getting a solo and proceeding to steal a good, new character's limelight. It's just creatively bankrupt.:csad:
Really? Jean Grey is Phoenix. It is something thgat has been associated with her for over 30 years. How is she stealing this from Quentin? You act like Q would be getting a solo if this Jean book didnt exist

They hogged the spotlight in the sense that Marvel wouldn't produce multiple books focused on the students, and they made the O5 the stars of that one book that did. Yes they added Idie and Evan, but all the press for the series has focused on the O5, and they will be the ones continuing on to the Blue book. And extraordinary had a story about the kids, but they are fully background characters in that book, if they don't make the cover, they ain't the stars.

And I just disagree on the O5... ANX started out as a top seller, but has slipped over time, finishing the past few months behind books like Gwenpool and Prowler. The adult versions grew and became interesting over the years, but the teen O5 were vanilla and uninteresting in their own time (yes, writing back then was rough, but still, Spider-Man and F4 didn't almost get cancelled) Plus, in this modern Diversity Era, they are just so painfully white that Marvel had to expect some griping about it.

I mean, I'm not tryin to convince you not to like them, glad you're enjoying it, but the numbers seem to indicate the teen O5 can't sustain their own book for too long.

And, just from a story standpoint, it feels like they've now stayed well past their welcome
Except they have had multiple books which had multiple students. We saw that with Generation Hope and WATX v1, more recently ANX v1 and WATX v2 and soon Xmen Blue and Gen X, so that argument doesnt hold up to me. ANXv2 also added Laura whom I initially forgot and she has been one of the main stars of the title. As a 7 person roster, that book is a decent blend of old and newer characters

ANX slipped like most books after the initial arc but it always remained the top team X-men book seller which is what I was getting out. Out of all the books which featured various teams of X-men, even with sales down, they remained the one that did the best numbers. And as poorly as you may want to imply that ANX did, it did WAY better than any of the concurrent books featuring the other students, aka WATX and its successor Spider-Man and the X-men

Last edited:
Quenton has been named in-continuity as being the new Phoenix. But investing in a lesser known hero like that is hard, and it's clear Marvel doesn't want to do anything "hard" these days. So instead of following through on that promised story, we get a retread of Jean dealing with the Phoenix Force AGAIN.

And @ Havok, since Bendis took over the line, what SERIOUS young mutant books have we gotten besides the O5? Books like Spider-man and the X-Men were fun, but that was just another "loveable misfit" title like Generation X is now.

Quenton has been named in-continuity as being the new Phoenix. But investing in a lesser known hero like that is hard, and it's clear Marvel doesn't want to do anything "hard" these days. So instead of following through on that promised story, we get a retread of Jean dealing with the Phoenix Force AGAIN.

And @ Havok, since Bendis took over the line, what SERIOUS young mutant books have we gotten besides the O5? Books like Spider-man and the X-Men were fun, but that was just another "loveable misfit" title like Generation X is now.

and Jean Grey left to collect her Phoenix fragments and was supposed to return as Phoenix with everything in tact. Things change. This happens ALL the time; more so than every bc creative turnover is so high compared to how things were back in the 80s or even 90s. Most books dont last past 2 years and if a writer does not follow through with all intended plans, there is no guarantee that the next will

I mentioned them in my last post. You are under the assumption that if X-men Blue didnt exist, there would be a core X-men title featuring the other students, which isnt necessarily true

Except they have had multiple books which had multiple students. We saw that with Generation Hope and WATX v1, more recently ANX v1 and WATX v2 and soon Xmen Blue and Gen X, so that argument doesnt hold up to me. ANXv2 also added Laura whom I initially forgot and she has been one of the main stars of the title. As a 7 person roster, that book is a decent blend of old and newer characters

ANX slipped like most books after the initial arc but it always remained the top team X-men book seller which is what I was getting out. Out of all the books which featured various teams of X-men, even with sales down, they remained the one that did the best numbers. And as poorly as you may want to imply that ANX did, it did WAY better than any of the concurrent books featuring the other students, aka WATX and its successor Spider-Man and the X-men

Again, yes, the students have shown up multiple places, but as far as pushing the characters, giving them visibility in the line, the O5 have gotten a lot of spotlight while others have faded into the background. Hell the five lights were pretty much thrown right out the f***in window when the O5 showed up.

And on the second point, ANX has been below Extraordinary and Uncanny for the past several months. It beat WaTX when it first came out because of a combination of it still being new, and WaTX taking a serious downturn in quality around AvX. But since Secret Wars, it's been trailing the others.

Again, yes, the students have shown up multiple places, but as far as pushing the characters, giving them visibility in the line, the O5 have gotten a lot of spotlight while others have faded into the background. Hell the five lights were pretty much thrown right out the f***in window when the O5 showed up.

And on the second point, ANX has been below Extraordinary and Uncanny for the past several months. It beat WaTX when it first came out because of a combination of it still being new, and WaTX taking a serious downturn in quality around AvX. But since Secret Wars, it's been trailing the others.

Thats the current volume. ANX v1 lasted about 3 years and remained high for that entire run so I dont think it being new was really the case when you're past issue 25. As for the current volume, one could argue that its bc its not O5 focused and more of an amagalm. The O5 work; the current ANX does not. It was a decent experiment short term, but Marvel is ditching it in favor of what actually sells. IMO, even the original book dropped in quality after it wrote out Cyclops. X-23 was integrated well but Oya and Genesis dont fit here and there is something severly lacking without Jean. Xmen Blue seems to be going back to what originally made ANX special with its lineup by getting the band back together and it will be replacing the Kitty/Cyclops role with Magneto. I have confidence that it will be doing better than ANX v2

I wouldn't mind seeing a Gen X consiting of:

Chamber/Husk-Co-leaders/Teachers
Mercury
Gentle
Tempus (Eva Bell)
Loa
Benjamin Deeds
Primal

So disappointed in Generation X because it isn't Generation X at all. Jubilee is in it... great. The only saving grace this books has for me is that she seems to really be interested in Chamber, so at least there's that. I mean seriously though. There aren't many Generation Xers left. It shouldn't have been hard getting a small chunk of them in one book. Jubilee, Chamber, Husk, M. At least three of those would be necessary to make the book feel like a Generation X book.

And what really irritates me about it is that it isn't like the book and characters have had chance after chance to be a thing like New Mutants has had. They literally ended ONE run and never came back to them again. So now that they are... they aren't even bothering to make it Generation X. The post-Civil War New Warriors book was more Generation X than this.

Anyhow... all that complaining aside...

Regarding the actual cast, I'm glad at least Jubilee is there. I kinda like her as a vampire, so that's cool. I thought Jason Aaron's cast of students was the dumbest, most uninteresting cast of students I've ever read. And so of course half the cast is from that book. Bling is fine I guess, but I've never cared one way or another about her. The only one I kinda like is Benjamin Deeds. I found him interesting during Bendis' run.

I don't know. Hopefully this cast can just get X-Forced real quick (and by X-Forced I mean the original Milligan team) and a real cast can follow.

I will say, after the second story in All New, I am itching for a Dani/Magik book.

Greg Land? Why does this guy continue to draw X-books? Disappointing team. OML doesnt need to be on two and Lady Deathstrike needs to go away. i was hoping for Psylocke, Wolverine and M

Most impressed with Weapon X.

I love Pak & Land

Only change should be X-23 & Psylocke instead of OML and Deathstrike

At least Pak is usually a plus
but yeah the team and concept seem a bit boring, hopefully they sell it better in the coming months
(although OML and Sabertooth could be a great pairing, Pak's right on that)

Greg Land? Why does this guy continue to draw X-books? Disappointing team. OML doesnt need to be on two and Lady Deathstrike needs to go away. i was hoping for Psylocke, Wolverine and M

He's quick. At this point, not missing deadlines is key to getting regular work in comics.

I will say, he seems to be getting better in Uncanny.

Inker and Colorist are important too

I've seen the right team make his artwork look pretty good before

can't remember when, but it's happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"