Infinity War Captain America|Steve Rogers - Chris Evans

You know though, Steve has been on the run and been an enemy of some form of government since TWS, and then he has become a fugitive since Civil War, will we see him become honored again in A4?

And, why does the regular public seem to not like Captain America? His movies are have the lowest box office, and he gets the most hate out of all of the Avengers on social media. And why did Marvel start this rivalry between Steve and Tony to begin with?

As far as I’ve seen the general public love Cap now. They didn’t love him that much after TFA and the first Avengers but he seems to have got more and more popular since TWS.

Yeah, I don't get what he is saying either. TWS outgrossed TDW, and CW outgrossed Ragnarok. In terms of pure BO, the Cap series has grossed more across all 3 movies than the Thor series, I believe. So, he in no way has the lowest BO.

Yeah, I don't get what he is saying either. TWS outgrossed TDW, and CW outgrossed Ragnarok. In terms of pure BO, the Cap series has grossed more across all 3 movies than the Thor series, I believe. So, he in no way has the lowest BO.

And even the majority of the comments I saw seemed to be super-hyped to see bearded Cap in IW.

Distinct lack of screen time for Cap but we all know he is going to play a major part in A4 just like all the founding members.

You know though, Steve has been on the run and been an enemy of some form of government since TWS, and then he has become a fugitive since Civil War, will we see him become honored again in A4?

And, why does the regular public seem to not like Captain America? His movies are have the lowest box office, and he gets the most hate out of all of the Avengers on social media. And why did Marvel start this rivalry between Steve and Tony to begin with?

I really have no idea where you are getting any of this.

In fact this shows the complete opposite: https://www.cinemablend.com/new/5-M...cording-Twitter-Users-74987.html?story_page=1

Although I don't find that to be an accurate gauge either. But if you are insistent on using social media as evidence for your point....

Last edited:

What do you mean, why does the public not like Cap? They love him! He's arguably one of the most popular characters in Marvel.

A company called Synthesio analyzed social media mentions after Age of Ultron and Steve was the most popular Avenger:

tumblr_inline_p8drz9VnYy1t71lyk_540.png

http://www.ibtimes.com/avengers-age...erica-most-popular-hero-latest-marvel-1909294

When the first Infinity War trailer premiered, Steve had the highest number of mentions, again on social media, by A LOT:

Here's the breakdown of the top five talked-about moments from the Infinity War trailer:

Captain America's Beard (20,474 mentions)
Spidey sense (6,100 mentions)
Guardians at the end of the trailer (5,497 mentions)
Get this man a shield (2,180 mentions)
Group together running at end (2,108 mentions)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...eople-obsessed-captain-americas-beard-1063050

I've seen Infinity War four times now, in each of those times, the loudest cheer went to two scenes, Steve showing up in Scotland, and Thor showing up in Wakanda.

I have no idea where you got the idea that Steve isn't very loved.

Also, here is the overall box office breakdown for the Big Three (domestic AND international):

Iron Man 1 = $585,174,222
Iron Man 2 = $623,933,331
Iron Man 3 = $1,214,811,252

Iron Man Total = 2,423,918,805

Captain America 1 = $370,569,774
Captain America 2 = $714,264,267
Captain America 3 = $1,153,304,495

Captain America Total = $2,238,138,536

Thor 1 = $449,326,618
Thor 2 = $644,571,402
Thor 3 = $853,977,126

Thor Total = $1,947,875,146

I mean, these guys are pretty neck-to-neck. And I wouldn't call a franchise that made $2,238,138,536 hated. Especially since the third Iron Man film had the box office advantage of being the first Marvel film to follow Avengers 2012.

BTW: the source for the box office numbers was Box Office Mojo: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/

And since we're on the topic of character popularity, but a different form of media, his comic was in the top ten last month as well...

tumblr_p8shcctn2F1x69ysjo1_540.jpg

Last edited:
In terms of the general public appreciation, I feel that Winter Solider and Civil War elevated his status . Where as traditional comic book fans have adore the performance of Chris Evans from The First Avenger.

In terms of the general public appreciation, I feel that Winter Solider and Civil War elevated his status . Where as traditional comic book fans have adore the performance of Chris Evans from The First Avenger.

I would absolutely agree with this. Not that I don't love CA:TWS and CA:CW, I do, but CA:TFA, to me, was the closest Marvel has come to feeling like an actual comic book put to film. The set design was spectacular, the story true to form, Joe Johnston did an amazing job. First Avenger is so underrated.

Yep, I like CA: TFA, more so than TWS and CW. Maybe because TFA had that Rocketeer (I love this film, from the same director) feel.

Well, lets see how a Captain America movie would do without the help of Scarlet JoHanson, Samuel L Jackson, Tony Stark and Spider-Man being part of it.

You're giving Cap way less credit than he deserves. :whatever:

You're giving Cap way less credit than he deserves. :whatever:

Caps my favorite character, so Im just pointing out the obvious. Marvel doesnt think he can carry a film on his own like Iron-Man, Thor and the rest of the MCU. Plus, don't you see how they are basically writing him as a cameo when there are ensemble films? Sure, he may lots of on screen footage, but his story is peanuts compared to Tony, Thor or even Black Widow.

Hulk got to be a badass in Thor. Tony got to be a major player in Spider-man's movie while they actually mocked Caps boyscout personality and made him into a fugitive. A major Avenger has been a fugitive on the run for 2 years in this universe, so Im not going to be sorry that Im little upset about how Cap has been treated.

Either way, while it will be sad to see Steve Rogers go, I will be looking forward to Tony Stark not hijacking the movies with his inflated ego no more.

How about the fact that Marvel haven't had a Thor movie without Loki featured prominently? Or the fact that the HULK was in his third film?

This is starting to verge on conspiracy theory territory.

Well, lets see how a Captain America movie would do without the help of Scarlet JoHanson, Samuel L Jackson, Tony Stark and Spider-Man being part of it.

Let's see how Iron Man would do without Scarlett Johanson, Samuel L Jackson, War Machine, Gwyneth Paltrow, and The Dude!

This argument is stupid.

I agree. This argument is dumb.

Let's see how Iron Man would do without Scarlett Johanson, Samuel L Jackson, War Machine, Gwyneth Paltrow, and The Dude!

This argument is stupid.

I guess you didn't see the box office for Iron-Man 3? That movie was all sold and carried by Robert Downey Jr/Tony Stark by himself.

If you mean it rode on Avengers' coattails all by itself, then sure.

(I love IM3, btw.)

All of these movies after Iron Man had external factors that gave them box office boosts. That's the commercial beauty of a connected universe.

Cap has been a fugitive for 2 years because he refused to sign the Accords. He stood up against the governments of the world for what he believed in. How the hell is that Marvel treating the character badly?

I would like to see a Thor movie do well without Loki and Hulk in it, if we are going to make those kinds of arguments.

I guess you didn't see the box office for Iron-Man 3? That movie was all sold and carried by Robert Downey Jr/Tony Stark by himself.

Did you mean the movie, whoch gets a lot of hate (for MCU-Standards) like Iron Man2 or Incredible Hulk?

Ah ok.

Captain America has been around for over 75 years in Comics, The films have just added to the appeal of the character to the general public. Cap status has elevated tremendously in pop culture as a result . But make no mistake Cap will have a much more pivotal role in Avengers 4.

Both TWS and CW were big event movies, just like the Avengers. And they were marketed and presented as such.

TWS was repeatedly said by Feige, at the time, to lead directly into A:AoU, and CW was an Avengers movie in all but name. Bundled with a bonus debut of Marvel's most iconic character.

I'm sure a lot of people would say that the Cap movies are their favorite, but that doesn't mean Cap is proportionally their favorite character, too. The Cap movies didn't play with the same deck of cards as other "solos".

If Cap was that popular, he wouldn't be made to go down to Tony's level in and practically split the lead in his own movie.

Last edited:
CW was less of a solo than say Iron Man 3 or Thor: Ragnarok. No argument. But, I still think the view it is an Avengers film in all but name is not correct. It's firmly a Captain America film. You could remove any character from the movie and it would not impact the plot nearly as much as if you removed Captain America. CW as a film cannot exist without Captain America. But if you removed Iron Man and others, the plot could easily still exist with other faces as the new pawns of the gov't. Further, it continues the storylines started in TWS. That's a Cap sequel to me with tons of guest stars.

As for TWS, it was no less a Cap sequel than IM2 was an Iron Man sequel. Lest we forget IM2 had Fury, Widow, etc in that one also :o

CW was less of a solo than say Iron Man 3 or Thor: Ragnarok. No argument. But, I still think the view it is an Avengers film in all but name is not correct. It's firmly a Captain America film. You could remove any character from the movie and it would not impact the plot nearly as much as if you removed Captain America. CW as a film cannot exist without Captain America. But if you removed Iron Man and others, the plot could easily still exist with other faces as the new pawns of the gov't.

There are always going to be several ways for people to judge who's movie it is, but I don't think a lot of people would judge who's movie it is that way. Myself, I judge it by who and how many have the emotional beats, and who and how many get the notable character arcs.

And I'm not sure how the movie would exist without the Avengers. I'd love to hear how you'd see it working out.

Further, it continues the storylines started in TWS. That's a Cap sequel to me with tons of guest stars.

And also continues storylines started in Avengers: Age of Ultron.

As for TWS, it was no less a Cap sequel than IM2 was an Iron Man sequel. Lest we forget IM2 had Fury, Widow, etc in that one also :o

IM2 wasn't an event movie. And neither Fury nor Widow had a huge character arc in it the way they do in TWS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"