Jurassic World: Dominion

Party talk where some morons think looking skinny means you’re more beautiful or prettier isn’t the same as “he or she needs to lose weight” when discussing business. I also don’t know who she is or what she looks like. There IS such a thing as constructive criticism when someone loses weight and gets themselves in better shape. That’s not negative to compliment somebody for looking healthier. Obesity is unhealthy. That is a fact. Doesn’t mean you’re not pretty or a beautiful person but when Adele lost weight, she looked healthier. She’s probably going to live longer now. Her heart is better off for the work she put in. It takes a LOT of work to lose weight and be fit. Paying compliments to somebody shedding weight is suddenly an insult these days. Quite the world we live in. So you can’t tell her that you’re proud of her for losing weight? What? Lmfao. Yes just because you’re skin and bones that doesn’t mean you’re healthier or prettier (that goes without saying. That pretty comment at the party is ridiculous Hollywood nonsense)...but now we’ve gone overboard where she’s taking offence to someone saying she looks great and is proud of her.
So your answer to a woman explaining the issue with this exact sentiment, including the conflation of weight/beauty, is you don't know what she looks like?

giphy.gif

There a double standards of beauty in Hollywood, and women most definitely are more expected to look a certain way than men.
BS, OKA. The reason women age out of roles far quicker then men, is because... they aren't healthy enough. Which was the issue here. Bryce is clearly unhealthy.

I don’t know what she looked like before. She could have lost 100 pounds or 13 pounds. There’s a difference. My point still stands, her taking offence to ppl saying they’re proud of her is all that needs to be said.

This is a age where obesity is now waved like a flag of honour all because some don’t want their feelings hurt. It’s dangerous. Just as dangerous as promoting underweight models as something to look up to. Two extremes with nothing in the middle. Either the volume is on 1 or the volume is on 11, there’s no in between with some of you. “If im thick or overweight then I should never be told anything other than positive things”. So no tough love is allowed?

“So & so needs to lose weight in time for production” is not “god damn she’s gross and unattractive , yuck!”.

Hollywood wants you fit. So shut up and do it, quit trying to score points on the internet. There’s not much you have to do to make those millions. You read from paper, you use your memory, you train, and you deliver on camera for X amount of months, then you do interviews for a week about a year later. Then you’re done. Like Denzel said, this ain’t real work, go work in a coal mine and then complain about stuff you’re asked to do as an actor. Some of you get so sucked into this Hollywood crybaby privileged B.S.

I don’t know what she looked like before. She could have lost 100 pounds or 13 pounds. There’s a difference. My point still stands, her taking offence to ppl saying they’re proud of her is all that needs to be said.

This is a age where obesity is now waved like a flag of honour all because some don’t want their feelings hurt. It’s dangerous. Just as dangerous as promoting underweight models as something to look up to. Two extremes with nothing in the middle. Either the volume is on 1 or the volume is on 11, there’s no in between with some of you. “If im thick or overweight then I should never be told anything other than positive things”. So no tough love is allowed?

“So & so needs to lose weight in time for production” is not “god damn she’s gross and unattractive , yuck!”.

Hollywood wants you fit. So shut up and do it, quit trying to score points on the internet. There’s not much you have to do to make those millions. You read from paper, you use your memory, you train, and you deliver on camera for X amount of months, then you do interviews for a week about a year later. Then you’re done. Like Denzel said, this ain’t real work, go work in a coal mine and then complain about stuff you’re asked to do as an actor. Some of you get so sucked into this Hollywood crybaby privileged B.S.
Bryce Dallas Howard looked unfit to you in Jurassic World Dominion?

The sexism and misogyny in Hollywood ia projected onto the rest of society do to it's prominence, and is a case study in society as a whole and the same gross treatment to women who work retail, in a classroom, or on an assembly line. What many consider to be the "most attractive women in the world" still aren't in "good enough shape". Though bringing up the issue of obesity, then somehow how linking it simply to personal accountability, while complaining about how rich the 1% are is a very odd choice. As if the real issue isn't he cost of eating healthy, eating terribly, and not eating at all, and the lack of medical care, including mental health care.

But yeah, **** BDH for standing her ground on BS body expectations for a 40 year old mother of 2, who is perfectly healthy. That's the ticket!

That’s not a issue when you’re rich working in Hollywood. They give you the time, the trainers, the diet. There are no excuses. She looked fine to me but I wouldn’t say she looked fit either. I judge every actor the same way. I don’t care what their gender is. I don’t take sides. Get in shape, do your job.

That’s not a issue when you’re rich working in Hollywood. They give you the time, the trainers, the diet. There are no excuses. She looked fine to me but I wouldn’t say she looked fit either. I judge every actor the same way. I don’t care what their gender is. I don’t take sides. Get in shape, do your job.
source.gif

Your latest series of posts in here are beyond the pale. This has nothing to do with fitness. Most male actors in "getting fit" for roles gain weight because getting fit typically involves adding muscle. Telling an actress to lose weight has nothing to do with fitness and is purely related to toxic ideas of thinness and beauty.

Your attempts to rationalize it as being part of the job for an action movie is ridiculous. Her character is a former corporate exec turned conservationist. What part of her character description requires her to be "fit"? Nothing as demonstrated by the fact that the film's own writer-director pushed back against the studio.

This sort of toxic body shaming has no place here and makes the Hype an unsafe place for our female members, especially the younger, impressionable ones. The fact that you doubled down on these disgusting comments when others tried to make this a teachable moment shows you will never change and further warnings will serve no purpose.
get-out-gordon-ramsey.gif

Hate to break it to you, but the photogenic look Hollywood is going for, is not fitness. Hell, a lot of the shots of the men are after they are being dehydrated. And good god, the horror stories of women with eating disorders.

source.gif

Your latest series of posts in here are beyond the pale. This has nothing to do with fitness. Most male actors in "getting fit" for roles gain weight because getting fit typically involves adding muscle. Telling an actress to lose weight has nothing to do with fitness and is purely related to toxic ideas of thinness and beauty.

Your attempts to rationalize it as being part of the job for an action movie is ridiculous. Her character is a former corporate exec turned conservationist. What part of her character description requires her to be "fit"? Nothing as demonstrated by the fact that the film's own writer-director pushed back against the studio.

This sort of toxic body shaming has no place here and makes the Hype an unsafe place for our female members, especially the younger, impressionable ones. The fact that you doubled down on these disgusting comments when others tried to make this a teachable moment shows you will never change and further warnings will serve no purpose.
get-out-gordon-ramsey.gif
upload_2022-9-24_19-38-11.gif

There is some grey area to the whole actor weight discussion in my opinion. Is Bryce being told to lose weight for the role a product of sexism? Yes. As is the disparity in pay between female and male stars in films like these. Is it also part of the job of being a high profile actor? Yes. They're basically paid to look good on camera. Can it be hard to relate to struggles such as these in a world where most of us scramble for a pittance? Yes again. There are far bigger problems in the world, but it's still an issue none-the-less.

Weight is such a gray area that you can approach it from many different angles, the bottom line is health and that should be the focus.

If I hadn't become extremely unhealthy during the pandemic, or in general the last couple years, I wouldn't be fighting some medical conditions I now have to contend with.

Bryce looked great to me as she always does and Im not sure why people are saying she didn't.

Was about to post this same gif :funny:

Was NOT expecting being happy BDH had support not to be forced into losing weight when she looks amazing to turn into people on here body-shaming and normalizing the famously unhealthy Hollywood body standards. So many layers of wrong there. But I guess it's no surprise that there are still execs thinking like that when ordinary blokes on here still do.

Above all else - Can we PLEASE kill the "Entertainment isn't real work and therefore the mental & physical health of entertainers is not cause for concern" narrative once and for all?

There is some grey area to the whole actor weight discussion in my opinion. Is Bryce being told to lose weight for the role a product of sexism? Yes. As is the disparity in pay between female and male stars in films like these. Is it also part of the job of being a high profile actor? Yes. They're basically paid to look good on camera. Can it be hard to relate to struggles such as these in a world where most of us scramble for a pittance? Yes again. There are far bigger problems in the world, but it's still an issue none-the-less.

The bolded is kinda the crux of the issue. That people automatically conflate losing weight with looking good. It places too much of a persons value around what size they wear. And the parameters around that value assessment are far more strict and damaging on women and young girls.

The bolded is kinda the crux of the issue. That people automatically conflate losing weight with looking good. It places too much of a persons value around what size they wear. And the parameters around that value assessment are far more strict and damaging on women and young girls.

I don't disagree. Beauty standards are a mess.

I recently saw the movie. It had it's problems like Campbell Scott's role. WTH was that performance? He was like a less unhinged Eisenberg Lex

"Do you have food? Like one of my bars?"

"Pardon? Um..."

"No. Nevermind"

I mean was Dodgson attracted to him? It was really weird and then the server room scene was awkward too. Also the weird outburst where he beats up a chair.

The superhuman aspects that usually accompany movies like the F&F franchise weren't too in your face this time around

Things that elicited a "Oh C'mon..." were

- Kayla and Owen surviving the plane crash
-Owen not having hypothermia
-Kayla effortlessly pulling Owen out of the ice

There was also something off with the original three aswell. Malcolm just became a joke dispenser. Sam Neill's accent was odd.

It was convenient that Malcolm and the gang in their SUV conveniently tipped over and ended up where the new gang were

A highlight was Kayla. Dewanda Wise's eyes were distractingly pretty

So would I watch it again? Maybe. It also didn't need to be 2 hours and 30 minutes long

Last edited:
Campbell Scott is a great actor but he was failed by terrible writing and direction here. And like, I get that they were going for an evil Tim Cook but they didn’t have to make him LOOK exactly like Tim Cook. It’s a shame; I feel like Scott could have made a really compelling villain if they had bothered to write one.

Watched this again at home and I actually liked it a bit more 2nd time. It didn't drag as much and I liked the old casts role a bit more.

Dodgeson was still a stupid character and the locusts still feel out of place. But I did all of the cast joining up to take down Biosyn and Wu getting a redemption arc. Gonna try the extended version next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"