Official Green Lantern News & Discussion Thread - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the feeling that Box Office Mojo is biased against DC movie, despite many confirming that Superman Returns budget was 209 million dollars, Box office Mojo is still showing it to be 270 million !

It is sad that Transformers 3 movie is making GL wait 2 months.

GL concept is not silly, If GA can accept that Giant Alien Robots can turn into Cars, Trucks and Talk then they should have no problem with a movie like GL.

Ouch. From Boxofficemojo.

Hope they're wrong.
These were the same people who a couple of weeks ago were criticizing the producers of the film for not marketing it well enough. Now they are saying that they are desperate because they are marketing too much? BTW BoxOfficeMojo is owned by the same outfit that owns IMDb.

You know, it really doesn't matter how much or how hard they market this as long as the end result is that a lot of people come to see the film. Right now there are a good number of people saying that they want to see it. Furthermore, Green Lantern's powers are about as vague as Aladin's and we all know how well that film turned out to be (the most successful film of 1992, which was also heavily marketed prior to its release). It's not like people don't understand the concept of a ring that gives the wearer powers (see "The Lord of the Rings" franchise) nor the concept of a space based science fiction action film (see Star Wars). Both have been successful in the past and for a producer to not leverage those concepts to make a film (that by the way has its own mythology that is about as old or older than both) would be foolish. I would take this BoxOfficeMojo piece with a grain of salt.

I'm getting Captain American before it now. I swear they want people to download the bloody thing. I could stand a week or two, but 2 months?

It is not a wise decision to delay the movie by Two months, people will definitely DL it.

It will be of poor resolution / quality and GL movie looks bad in poor resolution as it fails to show the finer details, many people will assume that it is not looking good due to sub standard CGI effects (and it looks like a cheap movie.)

The movie will suffer at Box Office due to delay, some delay could be tolerated (like 15 days) but two months ? Not a good Idea.

It's funny that they are complaining about his powers being vague when that's common with so many heroes. Christopher Reeve's Superman seemed to grow new powers whenever it was convenient. I'm still not totally clear on what all Thor can and can't do; same with Loki and Heimdall. And you know what? It doesn't ruin their movies. Well, it did in Superman III and IV but those movies would have been horrible anyway.

"I want the fights to knife fight in a phone booth - quick and fast and dirty and these big grand sweeping movements. I don't see any point having people be smashed back a 100 yards into a brick wall and then immediately getting up and continuing to fight. Things have to have a grounding in reality. I always do that. You find movies where superheroes can simply take the most incredible punishment without batting an eyelid...To me there's nothing in that. I just don't believe a word of it. I always think that action has to be grounded in a basic reality to make it work, without making it too ridiculous. The thing is these films cost so much money, and we have a limit on budget and things. So we couldn't get into what I call huge multi-character gigantic fights. We just couldn't do that. We just didn't have the money to do that. So that played into making the action more naturalistic. There was cause and effect."

I think this quote from Campbell is a little weird considering that last tv spot I watched shows Hal being slammed into the side of an suv with enough force to turn an unprotected human to raspberry jelly.

Brazil is also getting it in August, because of the limited number of 3D theaters.

I think this quote from Campbell is a little weird considering that last tv spot I watched shows Hal being slammed into the side of an suv with enough force to turn an unprotected human to raspberry jelly.

They never showed in the trailers what happened after he smashed into the car. Certainly it looked like he was protected from fatal injuries, but it is not evident that he wasn't groggy after he struck the car. The fact that the trailers that were shown do show an injured Hal Jordan while Green Lantern do vindicate what Campbell has said, though.

They never showed in the trailers what happened after he smashed into the car. Certainly it looked like he was protected from fatal injuries, but it is not evident that he wasn't groggy after he struck the car. The fact that the trailers that were shown do show an injured Hal Jordan while Green Lantern do vindicate what Campbell has said, though.

I didn't get the feeling he was talking about being groggy or injured after taking a hit but more along the lines of "We aren't doing things like knockback through walls and other objects at all because it would be implausible and cartoonish to have bodies survive such impacts"

But maybe I misread his meaning, whatevs.

I can coz it was listed as June 16 until a week ago. They changed the released date four weeks before the film was meant to be released, four ****ing weeks. FFS I'm getting Captain American before it now. I swear they want people to download the bloody thing. I could stand a week or two, but 2 months?

Although I am not sure how severe piracy is today, a lot has happened in the way of curbing the level of piracy within the past couple of years. In Australia, what I see is that the Australian Federation Against Copyright Theft (AFACT) has started a multifaceted approach to curbing this sort of piracy. One of these is a campaign of awareness. According to AFACT, 7 out of 10 household members or ISP account holders who receive a warning by their service provider about piracy will generally change their behavior. On top of that, services like BitTorrent, The Pirate Bay, and IsoHunt have all but given up on (illegally) providing first run film content. The same thing is going on in the EU. I have a suspicion that even though there may still be piracy going on it might not be as severe or as significant as it was two or three years ago.

I didn't get the feeling he was talking about being groggy or injured after taking a hit but more along the lines of "We aren't doing things like knockback through walls and other objects at all because it would be implausible and cartoonish to have bodies survive such impacts"

I suppose the glow generated by his ring can help to cushion the blow.

Martin Campbell said:
I don't see any point having people be smashed back a 100 yards into a brick wall and then immediately getting up and continuing to fight.

[YT]n1EXkmLlk-o[/YT]

You know, normally when a person is hit that hard, he gets up groggy. That's what I am getting from Campbell's statement. It is understood that these folks are superheroes and can survive massive blows without being disintegrated or smashed, but it would be trully unrealistic if the person uncontrollably smashed hard into an object and then not go through some type of recovery period (i.e. feel groggy, shake it off, or at least be stunned).

Although I am not sure how severe piracy is today, a lot has happened in the way of curbing the level of piracy within the past couple of years. In Australia, what I see is that the Australian Federation Against Copyright Theft (AFACT) has started a multifaceted approach to curbing this sort of piracy. One of these is a campaign of awareness. According to AFACT, 7 out of 10 household members or ISP account holders who receive a warning by their service provider about piracy will generally change their behavior. On top of that, services like BitTorrent, The Pirate Bay, and IsoHunt have all but given up on (illegally) providing first run film content. The same thing is going on in the EU. I have a suspicion that even though there may still be piracy going on it might not be as severe or as significant as it was two or three years ago.

ISP don't give warnings down here.

Can't wait for the Blu Ray behind the scenes for a lot of films this year!

Most interested in the world behind this, Thor, Harry Potter, Cap, X-Men FC, Transformers, and Super 8. Ridiculous.

Are we gonna see other Lantern's batteries? I was just wondering if they would all be the same, or if they would change them up for each Lantern. Isn't there a pretty standard format for the lantern batteries in the comics?

Interestingly, I noticed this in GL: Secret Origin... while the basic look of the Power Battery Lanterns is the same, many of the GL's in the background of Hal and his class of recruits reciting the Oath and getting their Logo Badges varied in shape and style in many ways. Only Hal's looked the way we are used to.

I think it would be interesting if the Power Batteries themselves took on shapes appropriate for the each GL. For instance, Hal's could eventually morph into something that might not be so jarringly alien to Earth people so that it doesn't cast suspicion him as I assume that on Earth he's not going to operate as Hal Jorden - Green Lantern of sector 2814, but as the superhero Green Lantern.

I just bought this poster at Wal-Mart to hang in my boys' bedroom.

oau74g.jpg

I saw a Blackest Night poster at K-Mart and had to get it. It's this one

blackest-night-event-200907170517061.jpg

I almost got the one above though. :D

ISP don't give warnings down here.

I understand that they are doing that in the U.K., France, and Germany, and that Australia is considering doing the same.

I still check the albertafilmratings website and the BBFC website from time to time.

Last edited:
Just saw an exclusive clip on AOTS with Jordan and Kilowog briefing him on what he's expecting from him.
Kilowog uses his ring to create a construct of a sun that almost sucks Hal into it, who involuntarily uses his ring to create a spike with a rope attached to it that keeps him from getting sucked into it.

God damn it, and we are just finding out about this exclusive clip now? I'm not blaming you terry78. Good job Warner Brothers. :whatever:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"