• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Official PS4 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
ClPWmjIUoAIdFXi.jpg

Better graphics is 4K. Which will naturally look nice.. However they won't blow your PS4 graphics away.

Better graphics is 4K. Which will naturally look nice.. However they won't blow your PS4 graphics away.

but will it look better even on a 1080p only tv? will games be able to have better frame rates or run smoother even on a 1080p only tv?

also, were you trying to post a link in your post above? because I just see blank on my end.

I feel like you've asked and had that question answered for you multiple times

I feel like you've asked and had that question answered for you multiple times

well, the more info that comes out, the more articles and interviews that I read with conflicting statements, the more confused I get.....lol.

also, I wasn't exactly clear on Benstamania's last post and it looked like his post before that was missing something. So I wasn't really sure what he was saying.

So, to clarify then, if I don't own a 4K tv, then I most likely won't be able to notice any meaningful visual or performance improvement for my games when using 4K consoles like the Neo or Scorpio. So, unless I own a 4K tv, then it isn't worth it to upgrade to those consoles.

Is that correct then?

PS4K is built for 4K. If you don't have 4K that would be like trying to put a VHS in a DVD player. If you bought at 4K.. And only had the standard 1080p (because they out number 4K users..) you won't notice a difference. In fact, it could look worse.

PS4K is built for 4K. If you don't have 4K that would be like trying to put a VHS in a DVD player. If you bought at 4K.. And only had the standard 1080p (because they out number 4K users..) you won't notice a difference. In fact, it could look worse.

thanks, Benstamania. that clears it up better. and I can now see what you posted above about House's comments.

To clarify your last sentence, though. You are saying if I have a 4K tv, but I'm running a 1080p game on my regular PS4 on the 4K tv, then it might actually look worse because the 1080p game isn't optimized for 4K and the regular PS4 doesn't upscale it. Is that correct?

so, like watching a standard DVD using a standard ( non Blu Ray, non upconverting ) player on a 1080p tv?

In that case, I won't even both with a Neo until I get a 4K tv.

maybe if they offer a generous trade in for my current PS4 ( $200 or more ) and there are good 4K tv deals by the end of the year, then I might make the jump to Neo and a 4K tv this year. Right now, I see some 4K tvs with HDR going for around $700 in my TV's size ( 40" ). That isn't totally unreasonable, so hopefully there will be even better deals later in the year.

if not, I'll wait.

and if there is indeed going to be a more powerful Neo released next year for $100 that will more directly match Scorpio, then I'll definitely wait for that Neo and make the 4K upgrade then.

thanks again, Benstamania.

Last edited:

I dont think thats quite the best comparison. It would be more like having a DVD and playing it on a normal DVD player (PS4) vs a DVD that can upscale (Neo). The latter will make the image look better on a (HD) tv of higher resolution than the DVD was originally made for but the normal DVD player will look great on an SD TV. One can look at the PS4s and TVs like this

And one should see a difference regardless of if they own an HDTV or 4KTV. The rumors suggest that the standard minimum resolution and framerate be 1080p/60fps. Right now, the PS4 doesnt have that and most games are 1080p/30fps or something like 900p/60fps. The games will either look or run better. Theres also the possibility of better load times of textures and game content as well as faster installing.. 4K will just allow them to be output at a higher resolution. No games will actually be rendered in 4K, at least definitely not at the rumored specs that were leaked

I dont think thats quite the best comparison. It would be more like having a DVD and playing it on a normal DVD player (PS4) vs a DVD that can upscale (Neo). The latter will make the image look better on a (HD) tv of higher resolution than the DVD was originally made for but the normal DVD player will look great on an SD TV. One can look at the PS4s and TVs like this

And one should see a difference regardless of if they own an HDTV or 4KTV. The rumors suggest that the standard minimum resolution and framerate be 1080p/60fps. Right now, the PS4 doesnt have that and most games are 1080p/30fps or something like 900p/60fps. The games will either look or run better. Theres also the possibility of better load times of textures and game content as well as faster installing.. 4K will just allow them to be output at a higher resolution. No games will actually be rendered in 4K, at least definitely not at the rumored specs that were leaked

and that's what I want to know officially from Sony. whether or not there will be some noticeable visual/performance improvement even on a non 4K tv.

as you said, the extra power of the Neo could allow for steady, consistent fps and 1080p as well as faster texture loading, installing, etc.

those are improvements that even an HDtv owner can benefit from.

and see, this is an example of why I'm so confused about this subject and keep asking the questions. You say one thing. Benstamania says something different. Spencer says one thing one day. Says something different the next day.

and so on. and so forth.

Both MS and Sony need to come out and be clear about just what benefits, if any, the Scorpio and Neo will offer consumers who only own 1080p HDtvs.

No waffling. No double speaking. No backtracking. No mixed messages.

Last edited:
well, this is interesting. with all the talk of Neo, could we also be getting a new DualShock controller? Perhaps an "Elite" style controller for the PS4?

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/264748/sony-patents-new-dualshock-4-controller-with-new-buttons/

Looks like there are "paddle" buttons on the handles, the Start/Share buttons have been moved, and the touchpad is bigger?

and it looks like perhaps another design being considered where the sticks are moved up top and the face buttons moved below. I'm not a real fan of that design. I like the face buttons above the right stick. Though I don't mind the left stick being up top like the Xbox controller.

if they do make a new controller, whatever they do, please fix the d*** battery life!!! lol

Last edited:
thats the Wii U design which is downright terrible and no one should emulate it

^ yeah, it's just an awkward placement for the right stick to be above the face buttons.

hope Sony doesn't go for that design. The 1st design and layout in that article I don't mind so much.

Greatest of all time and I'd disagree. Having the face buttons under the right analog stick is an odd choice of placement and feels uncomfortable especially since those are the buttons most used

They're directly under the right stick, making the access super easy, without displacing your thumbs in two different directions. Of course, part of the greatest is the shape, and that just looks like a DS4 with a different button placement, so it may not be as GOAT, but it'd still probably OGOAT.

Greatest of all time and I'd disagree. Having the face buttons under the right analog stick is an odd choice of placement and feels uncomfortable especially since those are the buttons most used

thanks.

The elite is my GOAT.

GOAT is the Dreamcast controller, guys let's be real here!

:p

They're directly under the right stick, making the access super easy, without displacing your thumbs in two different directions. Of course, part of the greatest is the shape, and that just looks like a DS4 with a different button placement, so it may not be as GOAT, but it'd still probably OGOAT.

I will say its Nintendo's best default controller since the SNES

been seeing more "reports" that Neo will launch this year for $399.

that price seems too good to be true? $499 seems more realistic as the lowest price.

what do you guys think?

Both possible but I'm sure it will be at least as low as $399 by the time Scorpio launches, possibly even less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"