Stargirl The Stargirl News and Discussion Thread

I don't know if it's such a good idea having the new Brainwave on the team. The only reason to have him is because it's better to have him on their side as he could be extremely deadly against them. But he's not all that stable and seems rather dangerous and temperamental.

I wonder if next week Courtney and Pat will simply explain the cosmic staff away as some new gadget and not that Courtney is actually Stargirl.

I hope the Justice Society are going to start training properly, because there's no way at the moment they could beat the Injustice Society.

The eyeholes of Dragon King's mask look pretty cool. But he looks like he just got a money bag and cut some holes in it (albeit well cut and stitched holes). Why doesn't he have more of a form-fitting mask?

If it moves to exclusively the CW next season, I guess that means it won't have that cool DC Universe intro anymore?

The dinner sequence was one of my favorites of the show so far. I love those "everybody's got a different secret" kinds of group scenes.

I too forgot Cameron is possibly supposed to be a love interest for Courtney. It kinda feels like the show doesn't want us to get very invested there, so...I won't, lol.

What secret did Mike and Barbara have?

Well not everybody - you've always gotta have a couple of oblivious folks there just trying to enjoy their dinner. :funny:

BTW where's the rest of your Hitchcock reviews? When I said not to release them all at once, I didn't mean hold them all up indefinitely. :p

BTW where's the rest of your Hitchcock reviews? When I said not to release them all at once, I didn't mean hold them all up indefinitely. :p
I've been rewatching each of my top 10 before I write my reviews and was waiting for my #2 to show up on a streaming service (as the Hitchcock flicks seem to be in constant rotation on those) because I'm too lazy to dig up my blu-rays, but I guess I should probably get on it. :funny:

If Courtney did really flunk her history test, then what business would it have been of Pat's to tell Barbara? But if Icicle and his family weren't coming round to dinner, and they got the chance to finish that conversation, then what would Pat have told Barbara was the thing he wanted to tell her? He already said that Courtney was just kidding about failing her test, so what would they have come up with instead?

People are already saying once it moves to CW the budget is gonna drop like a rock lol

Maybe if they had fewer episodes instead of 22 they could use some of that for budget.

But yesterday's episode didn't have any superheroics at all, yet it was still good. They need to keep up the quality of the writing too. Also don't pad out the season with complete fillers. That's what's been good about this season so far - there's been no fillers at all. Everything moves the story forward, and we don't have to wait ages for something to happen while they draw it out longer than it needs to be.

That said, I wouldn't mind if Stargirl did occasionally fight a few villains of the week instead of it all being about trying to uncover the Injustice Society or recruiting JSA members.

BTW did people know there's actually a Disney + Stargirl movie that came out this year:

How did WB/DC let them release something with that title?

BTW did people know there's actually a Disney + Stargirl movie that came out this year:

Because there's no registered trademark on "Stargirl"? Or it's not popular enough to create confusion (e.g. Supergirl)? Or WB/DC gave Disney permission to use like for the Karate Kid movies?

There was a Starman movie in the 80s completely unrelated to the DC character.

I think they just werent worried about it. Disneys Stargirl is an adaption of a book that came out in 2000 and is on streaming. DCs Stargirl didnt become Stargirl until 2003. So likely less of a headache to try fight something that wont impact you that much.

Because there's no registered trademark on "Stargirl"? Or it's not popular enough to create confusion (e.g. Supergirl)? Or WB/DC gave Disney permission to use like for the Karate Kid movies?

There was a Starman movie in the 80s completely unrelated to the DC character.

What have they given them permission to use re the Karate Kid movies?

I would've assumed DC would still have registered their trademark for their character. I'm sure Marvel have registered their trademarks for Black Widow (even though that's a generic name) or Hawkeye (even though that name has been used in other contexts eg M.A.S.H. that preceded it).

What have they given them permission to use re the Karate Kid movies?

I would've assumed DC would still have registered their trademark for their character. I'm sure Marvel have registered their trademarks for Black Widow (even though that's a generic name) or Hawkeye (even though that name has been used in other contexts eg M.A.S.H. that preceded it).

Arent there varying degrees to a trademark? Trademarking doesnt automatically extend to every potential thing. DC cant use Black Widow as a title for their comic but someone could still make a movie titled Black Widow (There was a movie titled Black Widows in 2016). It's why they also use "Marvels ___" sometimes to get around those things.

Arent there varying degrees to a trademark? Trademarking doesnt automatically extend to every potential thing. DC cant use Black Widow as a title for their comic but someone could still make a movie titled Black Widow (There was a movie titled Black Widows in 2016). It's why they also use "Marvels ___" sometimes to get around those things.

They can trademark in a certain field, but in some cases that extends to other fields if the brand becomes well known enough. Eg, Disney might not refer to any meals or cars, but I doubt a food maker could call a product "Disney", because people would automatically assume it is associated with Disney because of how well known it has become.

I'm guessing since DC's Stargirl was created in 2003 after the other Stargirl novel, and it didn't have any kind of reputation built up, it would be difficult to trademark it. But had DC's Stargirl been created in 1983 or even 1993, they might've established themselves more and could potentially prevent that novel bearing that name. It's not like another writer could call their book "Hulk", for example, even if it refers to a ship, since "Hulk" has become so well known.

Black Widow is a generic name, which is why someone can make a film with that title. But Iron Man is not considered generic, which is why something like The Iron Giant had to change names (it was originally known as "The Iron Man", a novel by Ted Hughes).

Of course, Ironman (one word, no space) refers to the triathlon, and they're in a completely different field so there's no possibility of confusion. But Marvel couldn't now go and create a triathlon named Iron Man or probably even any kind of sporting event.

Maybe if they had fewer episodes instead of 22 they could use some of that for budget.

But yesterday's episode didn't have any superheroics at all, yet it was still good. They need to keep up the quality of the writing too. Also don't pad out the season with complete fillers. That's what's been good about this season so far - there's been no fillers at all. Everything moves the story forward, and we don't have to wait ages for something to happen while they draw it out longer than it needs to be.

That said, I wouldn't mind if Stargirl did occasionally fight a few villains of the week instead of it all being about trying to uncover the Injustice Society or recruiting JSA members.

If this was a CW show with 22 episodes, Stargirl would be fighting a different villain every week and we would be getting way more scenes of the kids in high school... I think the entire show would probably be mostly high school. (And more teen romance of course)

I hope they stick to the 13 episodes in season 2. I really like that this show has no filler

If this was a CW show with 22 episodes, Stargirl would be fighting a different villain every week and we would be getting way more scenes of the kids in high school... I think the entire show would probably be mostly high school. (And more teen romance of course)

I hope they stick to the 13 episodes in season 2. I really like that this show has no filler

See I couldn't agree more. The current episode count for this show is perfect IMO and one of the things I love it about it the most is how great the pacing has been so far. As much as I'm enjoying these characters I don't want more pointless high school scenes or teenage melodrama as filler for episodes. That's the kind of stuff that can cause me to lose interest in any show and I hope that they don't do that for Season 2.

High school drama is cheaper.

Stargirl is what Supergirl should have been.

Amen to that and it still makes me mad how much they have screwed up that show, especially since they got someone as talented and spot on as Melissa Benoist to play that character. She is too good for that show IMO and deserves so much better. I really do enjoy her in the CW crossovers though.

If Melissa Benoist had been about 10 years younger, she would've been perfect for a high school era Supergirl. But maybe Izabela Vidovic could work. She played the younger version of Kara in the Midvale flashback episode.

Maybe Stargirl could crossover with an alternate earth Supergirl played by Izabela where Kara is still a teenager and not an adult.

The new Earth-38 could show us Izabela Vidovic as teenage Kara in Midvale as Supergirl.

I would like to see Melissa play Power Girl from Stargirl’s Earth.

Tonight was likely the weakest episode after that two-parter on Cindy because of no Stargirl at all.

Just thought I'd point out that a different Green Arrow and Speedy (Roy Harper) were on the Seven Soldiers . in the comics wonder if they would beg Amell for a cameo or actually recast them for this show.

The fight for Henrys "soul" was good. I really enjoyed Courtney and Yolandas discussions with him. He acts as if everyone who isnt him or his father are horrible people so hopefully those convos get through to him.

I have no idea on where they will take Henry Jr as he killed a man and that he already made up his mind that people are deep down monsters but I think Courtney will get through to him. Also I think it would be interesting to see him try to redeem himself and have him become some sort of anti hero or even a hero.
Not sure how I feel about them making Henry Jr. sympathetic either since that character was introduced in such an unlikable way, but his scenes with Courtney and Yolanda were good and that ending with his dad waking up should make things even more interesting.
Whilst it was definitely implied, do we actually know it was Henry that killed the layer, could it have been brainwave himself?

Also, regarding the whole redemption arc. I was under the impression (am I wrong) that it wasn't Henry Jr that shared Yolanda's photos around, but rather Cindy, so he's not exactly guilty of betraying Yolanda.

I also think they're going to do a 180. Henry will turn out to be a hero, and it'll be Cameron who turns to the dark side, especially if one of the new JSA kills his Dad.

Pat explaining more of the superhero history with him and Starman in the 7 Soldiers of Victory was a cool bit as well, although it is kind of strange that during that whole time he never wore any type of costume to conceal his real identity.
Not all heroes wear capes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"