9.11 - Society - Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Webhead2006

The Web-Swinger
Reaction score
Decided to make official episode Thread for the first part of the two part JSA episodes.

www.kryptonsite.com/smallvillespoilers.htm

Episode #9-11: "Society"

Written By: Geoff Johns
Directed By: Glen Winter
Guest Stars: Michael Shanks (Carter Hall/Hawkman), Brent Stait (Kent Nelson/Doctor Fate), Britt Irvin (Courtney Whitmore/Stargirl), Phil Morris (John Jones/Martian Manhunter)
UPDATED 10/30/09: New Hawkman spoilers from Michael Shanks at the Huffington Post:
- "Hawkman being the alpha in the Justice Society, being someone who...has made some missteps along the way, can or could represent a type of mentor character to Clark in his leadership abilities with his burgeoning team members of the Justice League. He represents a character that has a lot of wisdom to pass down to this next generation, so there is a strong possibility that once the initial phase wears off that there will be a coming together of those two to paint a larger portrait of the future, of what Clark has available to him and what his options are," he says.
- About Doctor Fate: "There's a really neat relationship between he and Hawkman that makes the first episode quite heart-wrenching. There are aspects of it that are heart-wrenching as a result of that relationship. And I thought that was a very cool aspect of the first episode."
- The character will fly, and he does have a mace. And yes, there are wings.
- The version of Carter Hall we'll be seeing here is an archaelogist, not "Thanagarian space cop."
UPDATED 10/26/09: Entertainment Weekly's Michael Ausiello is reporting that Phil Morris will be appearing in "Society" as the Martian Manhunter.
UPDATED 10/26/09: Although the Internet Movie Database lists Elise Gatien as appearing as "Speedy" in this episode, our sources say she is not in this one... at least, not in Part 1.
UPDATED 10/22/09: Writer Geoff Johns has confirmed rumors that "Society" has now been split into two parts. He will be writing both parts.
UPDATED 10/20/09: More from Geoff Johns on Twitter: "Yes, Hawkman will have wings. And a big mace. Oh. And he and Green Arrow don't get along. At all."
UPDATED 10/19/09: Erica Durance (Lois) does not appear in one of the episode's two parts.
- IGN has solved the "helmet" puizzle by revealing that Hawkman and Doctor Fate will be part of the proceedings. Both characters have worn helmets. Michael Shanks of Stargate fame will be playing Hawkman; Brent Stait is Doctor Fate. Meanwhile, Matt Mitovich at Fancast.com has revealed that Britt Irvin (Aliens In America) is playing Courtney Whitmore/Stargirl.
UPDATED 10/17/09: Another hint: At least one of the Justice Society members appearing has been replaced by a woman in their superheroic identity at some point in comics history. (As revealed above, Doctor Fate is appearing. Hawkgirl taking over Hawkman's comic book series might also count).
UPDATED 10/11/09: Geoff Johns has revealed that one of the DC characters in this episode is "a girl. Who likes stars." (Read more on that)
- At least one of the other characters appearing is known to wear a helmet from time to time.
UPDATED 9/11/09: Glen Winter will be directing the episode.
UPDATED 8/30/09: New stuff from TV Guide Magazine: The Justice Society returns "to give these screwed up guys of the next generation a needed smack-down," Geoff Johns says. The characters appearing are not yet known and will rely on legal clearances, but Johns says the characters will be in their 40's and Jay Garrick and Alan Scott will not be appearing.
UPDATED 8/17/09: Geoff Johns tells KryptonSite that the Justice Society "will be heroes that come out of 'retirement' to see how the current generation operates."
UPDATED 7/27/09: Popular comics writer Geoff Johns ("Legion") returns for a story featuring the Justice Society of America - a team that preceded the Justice League by a generation.

I can't wait to see Michael Shanks as Carter Hall/Hawkman . I'm greatly looking forward to this episode .

Wow, Manhunter's back and so's speedy :p I wonder who's gonna be a role model for Ollie since Hawkman is going to be one for Clark.

well i dont know if mia/speedy is in the episode. Only other jl member that has been confirmed to be in either society or legends is phil morris returning as john jones. As for fate/hawkman/stargirl i totally cant wait to see first reveal of their costumes.

UPDATED 10/26/09:
Although the Internet Movie Database lists Elise Gatien as appearing as "Speedy" in this episode, our sources say she is not in this one... at least, not in Part 1.

do they mean this ep or the second parter for the JSA?

probably legends. Though imdb isnt that trusty of places. But we will probably know soon. Since society and legends are filming now.

http://www.fancast.com/blogs/the-big-bang-theory/the-big-tease-scoop-on-ncis-greys-csi-ny-and-more/
Nice interview with ‘Smallville’s’ Justin Hartley! But man, no Chlollie? I was hoping for that. – LJ
To be fair, Justin didn’t completely rule out an Ollie-Chloe romance; he simply said nothing was on the books yet. In full, he told me he finds it “much more interesting for Oliver to have a relationship with a female that’s platonic. That doesn’t happen to him. Or, I’d like to see him stumble on [new romance] and not know how to handle that.” As for what if anything the writers decide to do with “Chlollie,” he said, “It will be good. I have total faith in them.”

The ‘Smallville’ executive producers have confirmed that Martian Manhunter (Phil Morris) is returning this season. When, and for how many episodes? – Graham
Those who are J’onzzing for the big guy’s return will want to make extra sure that they catch the Justice Society-centric two-parter airing in January. “The other MM” (as I call him) will resurface in “Society,” but really make his presence known in the “Legend” half.

I like the spoilers so far

yea jsa two parters keep sounding better and better every day we get news. just wait to we get first official photos and promos.

I wish they would have done this with other episodes, like "Justice" and "Doomsday"

well i thought justice was good, but yea it would have probably been more if it was 2hrs too. I bet jsa two parters is going to be the most expensive episodes for the series more then reckoning or justice which i heard were very expensive.

Simply Amazing! can't wait for the other news later today!

Haven't seen this anywhere yet, but several sources including TV Guide report that Pam Grier has joined the cast as Amanda Waller and it will include several episodes.

The pam grier news was reported a few days ago and we all have been talking about it.

But on the other big news, thank the maker the yahoos in charge of CW are actually doing a smart thing with smallville. I really hope this will be a big ratings boost for the show. Also great to see the jsa episodes airing together in a TV movie format. Now i totally cant wait to see first photos/clips for the episodes. Man i hope we get some sweet promos and promotions for the episodes.

How long do you guys think it will be untill we get pics of the JSA.

pam grier i playing the dc comics character Amanada waller aka The wall. As for pictures for the two jsa episodes since they are currently still shooting the episodes right now. I doubt we will see anything to maybe mid/late dec. Maybe an official release from the wb/cw. Or maybe published in tvguide/ew/etc.... mag as a special exclusive and all that. Then we will likely not see the first promos for the episode to late dec/early jan.

Nice interview with ‘Smallville’s’ Justin Hartley! But man, no Chlollie? I was hoping for that. – LJ

:facepalm:

we have been talking about it already since yesterday samuraison6.

Just posted this over in the season 9 spoilers thread, but i might has well put it here too.

So i was just reading on another page that the site voices from krypton is reporting that the two parter Jsa(society/legends) 2hr event has been pushed back from jan 29th to feb 5th. I dont know if this is totally official yet, i havent seen any other pages talking about it. My guess with the two parter being bumped to feb 5th with episode 10 disciple likely to take the jan 29th slot now. Is probably due to after the two parter which is episodes 11 and 12 there is only ten more episodes left in the season. So they probably wanted to be able to stretch out those 10 episodes to air between feb-may some how.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"