• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

It was OK, didn't really wow me, knew those whales had something valuable on them

It was OK, didn't really wow me, knew those whales had something valuable on them
Not a whole lot different than our whaling where you killed a large animal for ambergris and some rolls of fat. :(

68260cbd1c75047a6f22af258d180948eaa29609.gifv

f229be20ade3bc4afc73c9ec4c1eba0d59d304e4.gifv

6774fee67f022f6aabc2e9b93fee0289f68c0b3e.gifv

b712f0e7b113cbfe2f44559b7d705e5a57853c15.gifv

0c00555513ae16ca31b1324305aff320f8112bcd.gifv

487598691800debe4bd8de6f2ef89cab1d3bd101.gifv

dc42595487deb2621d711770714bce7ee047fc94.gifv

i expect this kind of vfx in other movies maybe in 8 years .
Many other blockbusters are regressing with VFX! Unfortunately there don't seem to be as many who care about this element of filmmaking these days.

Hopefully Avatar’s recent 2.3 billion might help Marvel and its ilk to think that actual quality vfx actually help the story.

Hopefully Avatar’s recent 2.3 billion might help Marvel and its ilk to think that actual quality vfx actually help the story.
At least they are an additional asset for the GA to marvel at rather than put people off.

Yeah but Marvel doesn't have the luxury of years of preproduction, filming and postproduction that Avatar had. That aside, I think audiences are forgiving of subpar VFX if the story is good (Shang-Chi) compared to a half-baked script (Quantumania).

I finally caught this on VOD and....meh.

I dont wanna be a wet blanket, I'm just going to simply say that I dont think this world of Pandora is for me. Technically this movie--like the last one--is marvelous. Gorgeous visuals and cinematography all around. I just really struggled to connect with these characters and this story for some reason and this was the same problem I had with the last one. I dont know why, its not like anything is particularly badly done; the direction is good, the actors are all doing an admirable job, it's just theres a disconnect I have with the material for whatever reason and I'll leave it at that. I think maybe I would have enjoyed it a little more in theater than on my big screen tv.

I dont wanna be a wet blanket, I'm just going to simply say that I dont think this world of Pandora is for me. Technically this movie--like the last one--is marvelous. Gorgeous visuals and cinematography all around. I just really struggled to connect with these characters and this story for some reason and this was the same problem I had with the last one. I dont know why, its not like anything is particularly badly done; the direction is good, the actors are all doing an admirable job, it's just theres a disconnect I have with the material for whatever reason and I'll leave it at that. I think maybe I would have enjoyed it a little more in theater than on my big screen tv.
I did see it on IMAX a couple of times, but I’m right there with ya. It’s a slog to me. I truly could not care less about any of these characters. I know I’ll see the sequels on the big screen at least once for the spectacle alone, but I can’t say I’m remotely looking forward to them.

My husband is the same. He doesn't get what all the fuss is about even as I'm thrilled to pieces. To each their own I guess, lol.

I did see it on IMAX a couple of times, but I’m right there with ya. It’s a slog to me. I truly could not care less about any of these characters. I know I’ll see the sequels on the big screen at least once for the spectacle alone, but I can’t say I’m remotely looking forward to them.

EXACTLY. And here's the thing, Flick....I think I'm done. I have no desire to watch any more of this mythology. And it hurts me to say that because I LOVE Cameron. He is one of my all time favorite filmmakers. ADORE the Terminator films, ADORE Aliens, LOVE The Abyss, LOVE True Lies, Really like Titanic...but if these Avatar movies are all the man's gonna do until he retires...I think I'm checking out, man.

EXACTLY. And here's the thing, Flick....I think I'm done. I have no desire to watch any more of this mythology. And it hurts me to say that because I LOVE Cameron. He is one of my all time favorite filmmakers. ADORE the Terminator films, ADORE Aliens, LOVE The Abyss, LOVE True Lies, Really like Titanic...but if these Avatar movies are all the man's gonna do until he retires...I think I'm checking out, man.
Yeah I’ve said multiple times over the last few months how much I wish he could give us more stuff like True Lies, T2 and the Abyss. I miss THAT James Cameron quite a bit. It’s just depressing knowing he’s basically giving the foreseeable future of his career over to this world that bores me to tears.

I will say there's a definitive divide as far as people caring enough about Avatar to go out and see it multiple times for the spectacle but when it comes to the characters the general audience is just...apathetic. I've got nothing against Neytiri and Quaritch but I've yet to be convinced even after 13 years and two $2B+ grossing movies that those characters have made a significant mark on pop culture the way that Arnold's Terminator or Jack and Rose from Titanic did if we're comparing it to Cameron's other movies.

Last edited:
Right? Thats kind of the fascinating paradox with these Avatar movies: they make all the money in the world but no one talks about them. I dont see or hear about these characters in the pop culture zeitgeist. But OBVIOUSLY millions of people must adore these movies for them to make over 2 billion dollars.

Wow, we’re back here again huh? I guess till Avatar 3 makes 3 billion.

“No one” = Twitterverse = not the real world.

Listen, I’d rather James Cameron be passionate about what HE wants rather than what we THINK he should be passionate about.

The fact we’re getting a successful original franchise from one person’s creation is worth celebrating over generic assembly line of studio IP.

Right? Thats kind of the fascinating paradox with these Avatar movies: they make all the money in the world but no one talks about them. I dont see or hear about these characters in the pop culture zeitgeist. But OBVIOUSLY millions of people must adore these movies for them to make over 2 billion dollars.

The biggest star of these movies is James Cameron.

Wow, we’re back here again huh? I guess till Avatar 3 makes 3 billion.

“No one” = Twitterverse = not the real world.

Listen, I’d rather James Cameron be passionate about what HE wants rather than what we THINK he should be passionate about.

The fact we’re getting a successful original franchise from one person’s creation is worth celebrating over generic assembly line of studio IP.

That's fine and fair and for the record I'm not mad its smashing the box office. This franchise has clearly been in Cameron's brain for decades so I'm glad his dream got realized and is successful. I'm just saying as a fan of his, I miss him playing in the genre that made him who we was to begin with, is all. I would absolutely love if he went back to his action thriller roots one day because no one does it like him.

Watched this a second time and it felt even less enjoyable. There’s just a ton of choices with the characters that I don’t care for at all. Spoilering so that if anyone wants to skip the details, they can.

Jake is an absolute DRAG of a character and my god, do I not understand his reasoning for uprooting his family and putting other tribes in danger as if Quaritch wouldn’t have hurt the Omatikaya or any other clan that came in his way to look for him. His monotone narration was dull as hell and feels like all he did for the most part was yell at his kids and tell Neytiri to calm down. I also really hated how Neytiri got sidelined totally in this. And sure, let’s all be a part of this reef clan now as if Neytiri’s mother and all the other important people in her life aren’t all alive and well back in the forest. Didn’t care for any of the kids either especially since they felt mostly like archetypes to me.

I thought what he tried to do with Quaritch was an interesting idea but again I didn’t really like the execution. If anything, I found Quaritch in the first one to be more interesting. Clearly Cameron has more planned for him and Spider but what was in this movie wasn’t super engaging. Speaking of Spider, that poor kid in that terrible wig. I thought that character design was really… not great. Really wish they had gone in a different direction with that. But even his character itself wasn’t all that great and again more of an archetype. It feels to me Cameron really likes this world and he spent a lot of time showcasing that instead of fleshing out the characters. Doesn’t help that alongside the returning characters, he introduced a lot of new ones that even with this runtime, it was difficult to give everyone the time to develop. I know Cameron has more planned for these characters but he’s also presumably going to bring in new characters and explore other parts of Pandora so how much time are they really going to get to grow?

Honestly the whale was really the only character that I actually liked :shrug:. I was super looking forward to this. Between the stunning visuals and Cameron’s history with sequels, I really thought this was going to be great. I’m still probably going to watch the sequels for the spectacle but not really excited for them like I was for this one. Who knows. Maybe somewhere in all those sequels there will be a movie that I’ll like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"