James Cameron:

"It was a year and a half to generate three scripts and then six months for me to realize that the first sequel script needed to be two movies.
Then 18 months for me to go back and redraft and personally write all four of the shooting scripts, including the split of the first sequel.

The new film is much, much more nuanced in terms of performance, much more complex emotionally, i think, than the first film by a country mile, maybe an order of magnitude.

Not to diminish the first film but... that was more about the awe and wonder.
This second film is more about the characters."

I guess as nuanced as you can get out of Worthington, I guess.

I think people are pretty hyped for this and numbers will be good. We went through different phases and we passed that initial "this is the time to make the sequel to maximize profits" and we went into another phase of "nobody cares about Avatar anymore" but I feel we're now back in a window where timing seems right. I think people want a non-superhero/star wars blockbuster to rally behind and Avatar has the benefit of being its own thing and only having one movie before, you don't lose out on some people not seeing it because "i haven't seen the other movies of this universe so why bother?".

The first movie is like a solid 7/10 for me. Love the world building and James Cameron is fantastic at what he does. However, the story and characters did feel a bit weak to me. If this movie ramps up those elements and the effects deliver like expected, I think this will top the first one. In terms of box office I think 1.5 billion is more realistic than 2 billion but we'll see. This is also the kind of movie that will do very well with selling merchandise and stuff around it so they'll be fine.

If the sequel would be realesed 2-3 years after the first one i would be mad that the humans with the military weapons are back and killing navi. but after 13 years? yeah i need Cameron doing action exactly the same as the first movie. In a new spot they show some shots they are almost 100% copied from the first movie.

After watching the trailers, it almost looks like a rehash of the first film story, but now with more water and better cgi, hope its not.

After watching the trailers, it almost looks like a rehash of the first film story, but now with more water and better cgi, hope its not.

Well, these days pretty much everything in Hollywood is just rehash of things that's been done a million times already. Especially movies with the kind of massive budget the Avatar-movies has.

And when you think about it. T2 was pretty much the same story as the first Terminator, just done with a much bigger budget.

The more water part sounds good. :D

This is also the kind of movie that will do very well with selling merchandise and stuff around it so they'll be fine.
You would think, but movie merchandise isn't what it used to be. For example, for the first movie Avatar had a whole line of action figures from Mattel but for this movie there's only a small line of figures that are geared more towards collectors than kids. There weren't Avatar Lego sets in 2009 like there are now but again those are bought by collectors more given the price range.

It's possible The Way of Water could bring about a resurgence in physical media sales when the 4K/Blu-ray discs are out but I wouldn't hold out too much hope for that. The first movie was the catalyst to me finally going out and buying a Blu-ray player but that was also in the pre-streaming days.

This looks so mid.
giphy.gif

There’s a 6am showing?! :wow:
Yep they do them at my local. For IW on opening day I went for a midnight showing and then home and back for a 6am showing, and then back again for a 3rd showing (can't remember exact time for that one) before travelling to Edinburgh for hols in early afternoon. #whateverittakes :cwink:

Oh my god I completely spaced that James Horner died and he will not be doing the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"